• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Very first bronco, need advice

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys!
Just bought my very first Bronco.
My friend has a 79 that i was in love with. So kept my eyes open and 10 years later, got one of my one.
Anyways, she needs some work and wondering what you experts suggest?
I was planning on full frame off rebuild.
I am in no rush, if it takes anywhere between 2-10 years, I am happy.
I planned on getting the frame galvanized so she never rusts again. Good idea?? Maybe even the tub too.

I have no pics of the undercarriage yet. Lots of surface rust though, and under the driver the frame needs some work.

Here's what I have. She's all original, and i'm the second owner. She's a 68' sport model 289. Parts matching. Is she a good find?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i1g8egxy0ht4smc/AACOA_tGmkjJpWt5ef1omubAa?dl=0

Thanks ladies and gents.
Johnny

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Congrats John! Looks like you got your work cut out for you around that gas cap and the rocker.

Not sure if it is a "good find" as you did post the price you paid.

Looks nice and original. Full frame off rebuild back to stock or a trail rig? What is wrong with the frame?

BigEasy73

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Welcome to the sickness:p I think the 289 is fairly desirable because it was only offered through 68 I believe when it was phased out for the 302. Being all original it will have the Dana 30 which is less stout than the later D44.

IMO you will want add power disc brakes, power steering and roll cage unless you want to keep it totally stock. These are things that make them become safer vehicles and more fun to drive.

I have owned my first for just over a year and can tell you 3 truths.

Whatever you decide today will change tomorrow.
It will take more time than you think it will.
It will take more money than you think it will.

Good luck.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Congrats!
My advise is to have fun with each small project and try to enjoy it. You will have thousands of small projects and if you look at all of them as one big mess you may get discouraged.

My wife gave me the best advise. She said take your time because your going to be board when its done.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Welcome to the sickness:p I think the 289 is fairly desirable because it was only offered through 68 I believe when it was phased out for the 302. Being all original it will have the Dana 30 which is less stout than the later D44.

IMO you will want add power disc brakes, power steering and roll cage unless you want to keep it totally stock. These are things that make them become safer vehicles and more fun to drive.

Good luck.

And a fire extinguisher and probably go with 3 pt seat belts if you plan to drive it regularly as well, safety concerns and all.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction. Note my build below took longer than 10 years. Probably 15 years between tearing apart and driving for the first time.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
I planned on getting the frame galvanized so she never rusts again. Good idea?? Maybe even the tub too.

I have no pics of the undercarriage yet. Lots of surface rust though, and under the driver the frame needs some work.

I used Eastwoods Internal frame coating, a good DIY galvanizing.
Are your plans to drive it in the winters/salt? Once your trucks restored you may decide to store it instead so consider that. As mentioned, have a plan for its final usage.

If the frame rot is excessive, consider looking for a replacement frame as I did. My replacement even need a few small areas that needed a welder, grinder etc..

Welcome, good luck and keep us posted with pics..

Edit: I'm 4+ years into my build with a ways to go yet.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the sickness

Good luck.

^...accurate words.

Greetings and Welcome Johnny!

You're in the right spot, lots of friendly Bronco folks on this website. And I'm happy to see another old Bronco getting saved.

Make sure to view the master thread on Bronco builds, and read a bunch of articles in the tech forum. So much information here it'll make you're head spin, LOL.

OP
OP
J

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
Beauty

Thanks guys! All great advice so far. Keep 'em coming
I plan to paint it teal, with white upholstery. It will be my summer toy, roads only.
Just like a beautiful woman, she looks great with her top off! ;)

I have an 86 Fullsize Jimmy now. but that pales in comparison to an early bronco!
It should do until the EB is ready for action :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats Johnny and Welcome aboard.

Tackle one problem at a time and lots of patience.

AND do NOT Count up your receipts :D

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I'd say drive it for a little while before you tear it apart. Maybe do jobs that require it being off the road here and there and not sitting in the garage in pieces for an extended period of time.

Whatever you do, think of upgrades and changes geared towards safety:
roll cage
3 point seat belts
power disk brakes
power steering
etc.

And if your married, never use the term "finished" in front of her.

Welcome to the site.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
She's beautiful...in the right light :p

My suggestion is that you go get your tetanus booster and then dive in. There are people here who have resurrected rustier rigs, so you've got resources here...plus a cheerleading section just for the simple fact that you're going to save her rather than part her out. Welcome to the afflicted and enjoy the upcoming adventure.

D ROCK

Take your wallet and throw it in your Bronco...see what I did there...

When you pull up in it at a stop light full of Prius's and your rolling smoke and burning oil smile BIG cause nobody REBUILDS a prius...

Welcome to the board....

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Like some said, take the word "finished" out of your vocabulary. Like Muskrat says, drive it some. You will find things, some of which you won't when you start taking it down. If it runs good, you can have some fun in it until you start the big items. I still have the drums on mine, but have been used to them for a long time and know their limits and they are something I will do soon. It looks like a big project. I wish you well.

wsager

Congrats. I've done some research on the frame galvanization. Some considerations:

1. Painting the frame: They call this a duplex system and is suppose to be better at corrosion resistance than either galvanization or painting added together (9+3 years=18 years in industrial applications). The secret of good painting on galvanized steel is the surface preparation of the galvanized surface. If the surface is newly galvanized, that is less than 48 hours out of the zinc kettle, the surface can be painted after a surface roughening procedure (sweep blasting). If the surface of the galvanized part has been exposed to the environment for more than one year then the surface can be painted after the dirt, grease and oils have been removed. The most difficult time to paint galvanized steel is between one day and one year after it has been galvanized. Some galvanizers will paint in house. Otherwise, it may be hard to make the 48 hour window.

2. Welding: It is difficult to weld and puts off noxious fumes.

3. Cost: Galvanization is relatively inexpensive.

4. Clean up: You will probably want to grind away drips and accumulation of zinc that will be left after dipping.