• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

very hot ground cable at battery

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have been working on my recently acquired 70 and took it for a 5 min test drive in the woods. When i got back i went to pull the negative cable off the battery and it was so hot it burned my hand.
The ground runs to the block. The positive runs to the starter solenoid and there is a smaller positive wire that is connected to an electric fan and an electric fuel pump.

Any idea why my ground is getting so hot?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I have been working on my recently acquired 70 and took it for a 5 min test drive in the woods. When i got back i went to pull the negative cable off the battery and it was so hot it burned my hand.
The ground runs to the block. The positive runs to the starter solenoid and there is a smaller positive wire that is connected to an electric fan and an electric fuel pump.

Any idea why my ground is getting so hot?

Check for bad connections on the block and battery. Also check power connections. Was the positive post hot too? There should be another ground from the engine to the chassis.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 bad connection is the number one cause. next may be to small of a ground cable

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
The positive was cold. I will check the block connection and run a couple more grounds.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the middle of the ground cable was hot that cable is bad.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Replace the ground cable with a bit bigger one and cut the old one apart. You will most likely find it corroded inside somewhere causing higher resistence. A cable can look perfectly fine on the outside and be all but destroyed inside.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks guys. I am going to replace it and add more grounds. I did see that the PO warped tape around one section. I will cut it open but I know you all nailed it.