• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Very Weird Voltage Regulator Problem

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hey all
I am having some werd Voltage Regulator peoblems, that have me a little stumped.

Ever since I bought my Bronco, my voltage guage has allways read about 15 volts. A few weeks ago I saw a post that said to replace the older style regulator, with a NAPA # VR440SB solid state regulator.

So I picked up one of those regulators, installed it, and started up the truck. When I first started it up, the guage read 14 volts, so I shut the truck off, shut the hood and went to take a ride. As soon as I started it the 2nd time the guage spiked to at least 16 volts, and the battery started to boil.

So I imediatlly shut it off, reinstalled the origional regulator, and while it read 15 volts everything was fine.

I decided to bring the NAPA Regulator back, and got a 2nd NAPA # VR440SB. I installed it, and I thought everything was fine. I drove it for 4-5 days, the whole time the guage read a perfect 14 volts. In those 4-5 days I drove to maine, new hampshire, and cape cod, prob put a good 300 miles with no problems.

Then yesterday I was working on my truck, adjusting my carb, and all of a sudden it did the same thing as the other Napa regulator, spiking to at least 16 volts.

So I threw the origional regulator back on, and all seems normal again, though reading 15 volts.

So to say the least I am stumped, and don't know what to do. I have a fairlly new(about a year old Die Hard) Battery. Never had any other electrical issues, other than my volt guage reading 15 volts. I know all my battery wires are good(new from Rayy last year) All my grounds are good( new grounding plate, new wires,

I am thinking of going to a 3G altenator, with a single wire setup, but don't know if that will solve my problems.

SO if anyone has any ideas let me know.

TIA

70_Steve

Old Guy
The voltage regulator needs to sense the system voltage. It will turn the alternator on and off to maintain a preset (inside the regulator) system voltage. If I remember right, it's the green w/red stripe wire that the voltage regulator uses to sense the system voltage. If there is a problem getting the proper system voltage to the regulator on that wire, it will turn the alternator on constantly.

Check the regulator connector.
http://www.wsu.edu/~i6735189/75_77wd1.gif

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was doing the same thing. Thats why I went to the 3G 1 wire. Then I killed a regulator in that. Thats when I got rid of the dual battery setup. Works great now. Cleaned up a bunch of wiring too. On that same train of thought another thing that I am glad I did was get a relay headlight harness from BC. No more pulsing headlights.