• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Video - Crazy noise/vibration/rattle driver's side front

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
Do you feel it in the steering wheel? or just a noise. Sounds Like a weatherstrip may be loose, maybe the speedo cable…...

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
It's so hard to describe...but it's VERY loud...somewhat deep sounding....maybe there is a little shake in the steering wheel...but I'll have to pay closer attention to this....I do know the speedometer needle is somewhat bouncy...

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Almost sounds like something is flapping in the wind. Only hear it above 50?

OP
OP
K

Kim

Loc.
Long Island
Yes...only above 50....but it sounds much BIGGER than something flapping in the wind....Very hard to make out with the ridiculous exhaust sounding like it will blow up in the background....

Bradsp8

Sounds like something flapping/vibrating to me also. Check to see if everything is tight. Things that quickly come to mind are the chrome trim on the windshield or around the door window? Belt line trim? Front license plate? Wiper blade or arm? Bezel for the tank selector switch? Parking brake? Bright light toggle switch?

After listening again it may be something behind the dash that's vibrating against the dash and when you hit a certain speed you're hitting a "harmonic" state or something or another where everything is just right for it to occur.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Sounds to me a like a driveshaft viberation!

...and interestingly enough at about 52/53 mph is generally when they start viberating -sometimes 55mph.

Its almost always the U joints on the driveshaft have a little wear, and as they increase in RPM that little bit of wear becomes a vibration. Another indicator is that it doesn't do it at lower speeds, which in this case means lower drivehaft RPM

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Did this just start happening, or have you done something to the car lately?
Start eliminating things...
Pull the rear driveline off and drive it with the front.
Pull the speedo cable off.
Rotate the tires to see if the noise moves.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Does it do it all the time after 50 or only on acceleration. Sounds to me like the fan hitting the shroud on acceleration

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
You may try using a spray nozzle on your compressor( if you have one) and spray around the area, maybe you can recreate the noise.

driveshafter

Loc.
phoenix az
dounds to me like a driveline issue the souns and speed are text book pull the shafts out and see if ther eather realy slopy or loose or if there realy tight like frozen if so then when you repair or buy new shafts call me and ill help you out im a vender so give us a hollar talk to me ron only because we have separate departments and im the only driveline tech

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New style parking brake cables (especially the longer ones) will flap around and hit the driveshaft. Look for telltale wear spots on either of them if they're not stock.

As said, driveshafts will often make the strangest sounds. And with the double-cardan end, you might even get sounds that you've never associated with a u-joint before!

The fan idea is worth persuing too. Do you have a non-stock shroud, or original motor mounts? If so, they could be shifting under load. Even without being under active acceleration, the engine is under more load at higher speeds just from the truck body pushing so much air.

All reasonable things to look out for. And easy to test for too.

Paul