• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIDEO - floor pan replacement - UPDATE - MORE ADDED

JakeAlex

Loc.
New Albany, MS
Thanks for the instructions. Question… will the welds from the removed screws be sufficient to hold the pan in place or would you still have to go back and weld all the way around the seam? I would assume you would simply need to add seam sealer around the seam and be done with it. Correct?
Also, for those that have replaced their floors, did you replace the bolt that is located close to the front of the pan (just before the bend), or is there actually a need to?

hammer

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the instructions. Question… will the welds from the removed screws be sufficient to hold the pan in place or would you still have to go back and weld all the way around the seam? I would assume you would simply need to add seam sealer around the seam and be done with it. Correct?
Also, for those that have replaced their floors, did you replace the bolt that is located close to the front of the pan (just before the bend), or is there actually a need to?

That bolt is one of your eight body mounts.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I am doing my floor replacements and wanted to know what size screws to use. I am worried about going too big and making it tought to fill the hole with weld.
Sorry if I'm late, these are size 8 x 3/4" long self tapping screws. I strongly recommend hex heads vs screw heads.

Absolutely. Plug welds are strong enough to hold the pan permanently to the body. Every 1 1/2" is even tighter than the factory spot welds. All seams get seam sealer along the pan underneath and on top. Plenty of floor pan replacement threads to back this up.

Hammer, your avatar is distracting.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Just wanted to bump this up again and say thanks for the excellent tutorials. This is exactly how I'm replacing my pans thanks to you.

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
I can't even tell you how much this helps.

Also in the larger world, how awesome all of you people are. It blows me away how helpfull you guys are.

thanks and thanks

-jim-

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Great job Mark! I don't know if it would make a difference but my air chisel has a smooth chisel and then the one I use most has a V shaped notch for cutting. It seems to hold better as well, I am thinking that may keep slipping to a minimum?

Ben

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Mark your video has inspired me to finally do my floors. Now I'm seriously contemplating pulling the body off the frame:-X...

Your videos could be marketed you know....

Don't do it, it is deep water. See my build thread. I used a hammer and cold chisel on the one side have cut out. Thanks mark will u the air chisel on drivers side.

Pestanza

Loc.
Sunnyvale
I just removed my passenger side floor pan yesterday, and was surprised at how easy it was. With the right tools it shouldn't take long. A cutting wheel to cut through the sheetmetal and air chisel are the ticket. The only problem now is that my replacement floor pans don't fit properly and need to be modified. These videos are very helpful for the install, I shall replicate exactly! Thank you for posting.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Mark, thanks for these videos. I am at this stage and trying to save as much $$ as possible doing what I can myself. I don't have an air chisel and never welded but at least I can do more prep and maybe borrow a chisel. Wish you lived closer. :)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bitchin' thread Mark.
I am actually looking "forward" to doing my floor pans now.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I'm glad you guys like the vids!
Pictures are nice, but video really tells a story.
I think my air chisel is a harbor freight cheapy, I'm guessing $20? but does the job in no time. I know there are other ways and some people are real pros at doing this. These were my third Bronco floor pans, and they aren't difficult at all. Each one better than the one before.
A $125 buzzbox 110 V cheap welder will do the plug welds. I'll tell you though, once you start using it, you'll want to upgrade to a 220 V welder.. for any job on your Bronco.

Not sure about the rear floor pan BlackCat, I haven't replaced one.

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
excellent, thanks for this thread. Getting my bronco tomorrow and will be doing this ASAP (UPS is bringing my welder tonight and will pick up an air hammer/chisel from HF)

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Mark is absolutely right on the welder. Don't go the cheap route on a welder. Spend some money here that you will thank yourself for down the road. I just retired my Miller Cricket (a 90 amp 110 welder) that was at least 20 years old. I fought it till I was blue in the face thinking my welding skills have deteriorated. I bought a new Miller MVP 211 with autoset for 1300 at my local welding supply store (Arcett) and they have financed it for me. Best money spent, the autoset feature will have an amature welding like a pro. As far as the HF tools, my shop is full of them. I would not recommend them if you where a full time mechanic but if you are just doing a few vehicles over the next few years they are a great buy and if you brake them, they will replace them....

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I got the millermatic 180 for $840 shipped, plus there is a 5% rebate I need to fill out. I went and got all the accessories (pliers, gloves, mask, cart, etc) from HF. Also got a 10ga ext cord I was going to use to run power from a stove outlet to the welder but realized what a pain that would be to move the stove to plug it in, so I am returning it and hopefully getting the 7kw generator to run it off of. Have read lots of people saying not to run them off generators but miller sales rep says it was designed for it. Better use of $ than paying to have a circuit put in the garage for welding probably