• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vin locations

wepuckett

Ok I bought a project from a guy and I check the normal locations on the passenger side for the vin on the frame but when he hands me the title it is a 66 when I decode the vin it is the first month of production U13. Would appreciate if someone could help me with possible other locations for the vin so I don't have to find another frame.

Thanks
William

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Ok I bought a project from a guy and I check the normal locations on the passenger side for the vin on the frame but when he hands me the title it is a 66 when I decode the vin it is the first month of production U13. Would appreciate if someone could help me with possible other locations for the vin so I don't have to find another frame.

Thanks
William

There is usually a second vin stamp on top of the frame, about 4" forward of the passenger side body mount on the frame. This is the body mount behind the passenger seat, not the floorboard mount.
Were you not able to find the VIN stamp below the passenger firewall?

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA

Thanks
William

normal location is under passenger firewall
others state there is a second stamp on passenger by rear shock mount
and a third said he found his on passenger side by diff support

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Not sure I understand why you would need to buy another frame? Are you saying the VINs don't match?? 66's should also have a VIN plate on the driver's kick panel.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

The kick panel isn't there, also neither of the normal locations under the firewall or towards the back are there.

I will check the other location mentioned above tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

DMV here wants to inspect the vin before transfering title I might get lucky with this one since it is out of state but don't wanna make much more then a trail rig if I do.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

Ok I finally got a chance to use the wire brush with the grinder on those spots and don't see a complete set of numbers it looks like I see a couple numbers.

If there are any others spots please let me know otherwise I will begin the search for another frame and put this one aside once I find another one. I will work at it a little more each day just in case I missed something but unless anyone has some more locations to check back to or time to begin cutting floor pans out on the body.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I can remember seeing mine on the top of the frame when I had my passenger floorboard out.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm still confused as to why you need another frame. Do you have a title that supposedly goes with this frame? A new frame alone will not match your title VIN either. Are you looking to buy a frame with a matching title?

Do the few numbers you see seem to match your title? If so I'd go with that and explain that the VIN has "faded" from surface rust - after all it's almost 50 years old!

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

I'm still confused as to why you need another frame. Do you have a title that supposedly goes with this frame? A new frame alone will not match your title VIN either. Are you looking to buy a frame with a matching title?

Do the few numbers you see seem to match your title? If so I'd go with that and explain that the VIN has "faded" from surface rust - after all it's almost 50 years old!

Yes i would be buying a frame with a title and glove box door.

As for trying to get it to just pass by the inspector that is a great idea if I was just wanting the bronco to be a trail rig but this one I want to be a daily driver and nicer one. If I do manage to get it by an inspector then yeah I will hold onto it for that purpose.