• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN mystery

Dorite

Hi everyone, new member here with a mysterious VIN issue
I live in Colorado and purchased a 74 U15 from someone in Colorado about 2 years ago. The guy I purchased it from had owned for over 30 years and claimed to be second owner. The title he gave me at purchase matched door tag and warranty tag and everything about the vehicle I believe is legit. I have no reason to doubt the person I purchased from and the title he gave me was even the small type that Colorado has not used for a long time. The truck had been used for a long time as a plow truck and it was rough so I decided to replace the body with all new from Rustbelt Broncos in Ohio. I blasted frame and during so looked for numbers, the front one was un readable but the rear was ok. I cleaned it up and clear coated it then painted frame black. Because I live in Colorado I was able to just take title in and get registered in my name with new Colorado Title. No VIN required.
The truck is finished now and I was going to sell but someone asked me if the frame matched the title and that's the mystery.
My title, old door tag and warranty tag all are same U15GLT92010 but the frame is U15GLT 92001, it almost seems to me as if the factory transposed last two numbers 10 and 01. In 74 there were over 25,800 Broncos built and I'm trying to figure out what kind of circumstance could of taken place where someone actually did a body swap of some sort and did it with a vehicle just 9 digits different. So that's my problem, any ideas would be very helpful. I feel if I have any chance of figuring this out then its the great enthusiasts on this site that can help me do it. Thank You,

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
If you really care, pay the $30.00 and order the Marti report. I would use the frame VIN ending 92001.

Marti will either give you a report on VIN 92001, or he will tell you that is not a legitimate Bronco VIN.

There is a high likelihood that the true VIN is 92010...but the minimum wage UAW frame stamping technician might have rolled his coding stamp machine wrong on that one frame.

If that happens, and it is not too uncommon...then you have to figure out what to do with that information. So let's say that Marti comes back and says 92001 is an Econoline Van, and 92010 is a U15 Bronco that matches your build. You will have confirmed that you have a mis-stamp on your frame. At that point, the ONLY proper course of action is to remand your Bronco to Law Enforcement, and have the incorrect VIN obliterated. Then your DMV will issue you a State "Assigned VIN" This will de-value your Bronco significantly, since it won't be a Bronco anymore.

Sometimes, it is vastly better to not know. Then it is also better to not post on an internet forum the offending VIN. The best thing you can do TODAY is delete your post. Sooner the better.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Common mis-stamp. This same situation has appeared many times over the years. It's not that big of a deal in most states. As mentioned above, have Marti clear it up for you, and in the case of it being a 74', it's likely that both vins could be legit 74's. What's the color code and body code on the warranty tag on the glove box door?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you really care, pay the $30.00 and order the Marti report. I would use the frame VIN ending 92001.

Marti will either give you a report on VIN 92001, or he will tell you that is not a legitimate Bronco VIN.

There is a high likelihood that the true VIN is 92010...but the minimum wage UAW frame stamping technician might have rolled his coding stamp machine wrong on that one frame.

If that happens, and it is not too uncommon...then you have to figure out what to do with that information. So let's say that Marti comes back and says 92001 is an Econoline Van, and 92010 is a U15 Bronco that matches your build. You will have confirmed that you have a mis-stamp on your frame. At that point, the ONLY proper course of action is to remand your Bronco to Law Enforcement, and have the incorrect VIN obliterated. Then your DMV will issue you a State "Assigned VIN" This will de-value your Bronco significantly, since it won't be a Bronco anymore.

Sometimes, it is vastly better to not know. Then it is also better to not post on an internet forum the offending VIN. The best thing you can do TODAY is delete your post. Sooner the better.
That might be the California answer, but there are 49 other states and most do things different. Sometimes to the point of one side of the office will do it different than the other side of the office at the same DMV.