• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Air - Silly Question

clinem03

I am planning on installing a Vintage Air AC unit on my 76. I cant seem to find an answer to my question so I was hoping someone on here could help. What do the controls look like on these units? Is it possible to install the control knobs/switches in the location of the heater controls on the dash? I want to keep the truck as original as possible (i understand the irony here in installing AC :)) I have the dash off for paint so I'd like to tackle this now so I'm all set up for the unit.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it possible to install the control knobs/switches in the location of the heater controls on the dash?

Mine was a custom dash install, but I DO think they are made to replace original controls in the dash.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I am planning on installing a Vintage Air AC unit on my 76. I cant seem to find an answer to my question so I was hoping someone on here could help. What do the controls look like on these units? Is it possible to install the control knobs/switches in the location of the heater controls on the dash? I want to keep the truck as original as possible (i understand the irony here in installing AC :)) I have the dash off for paint so I'd like to tackle this now so I'm all set up for the unit.
Here ypu go. Hope it helps. Also, a little advice.... the bracket spacers are a pain in the @ss if you need and .02 opinion on what a pain it was to get it installed shoot me a pm.

Jason
9c00585f5832fc7b0a649626b2429643.jpg
ad96f07a5528c31d8636925e4c77e5a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Here ypu go. Hope it helps. Also, a little advice.... the bracket spacers are a pain in the @ss if you need and .02 opinion on what a pain it was to get it installed shoot me a pm.

Jason
9c00585f5832fc7b0a649626b2429643.jpg
ad96f07a5528c31d8636925e4c77e5a8.jpg

Thanks! This is super helpful. I have my dash off so I'm hopeful it will be a bit easier to install than with the dash on.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Thanks! This is super helpful. I have my dash off so I'm hopeful it will be a bit easier to install than with the dash on.
Cool. My comments are in the engine bay area. The power steering pump and AC compressor brackets need so.etbink like 7 different shims to get everything to align (in a v-belt setup). Very little instructions from the vendor the kit was purchased from.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
From the installation instructions, it doesn't look like Vintage has much respect for original appearance.

Spaggyroe

For whatever reason, V.A. Doesn’t include these knobs as standard, but you can get knobs that closely resemble bronco control knobs.

Attachments

• 69BE7329-9F02-4BE6-B4EF-E863F4C5B291.jpg
    69BE7329-9F02-4BE6-B4EF-E863F4C5B291.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

For whatever reason, V.A. Doesn’t include these knobs as standard, but you can get knobs that closely resemble bronco control knobs.

Looks awesome! Did you just get the control knob tops and replace them for the ones that came with the VA kit?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks awesome! Did you just get the control knob tops and replace them for the ones that came with the VA kit?

you can, I think VA has them on their web site, I know Summit sales them also

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

you can, I think VA has them on their web site, I know Summit sales them also

Thanks! That brings up a good question....Where is the best place to order a VA unit? Direct from VA or one of the bronco vendors? (WH, TBP, etc)

Which is the better unit, the moveable vents or the one that has the fixed vents and unit?

Spaggyroe

Yeah. I got the knobs from Summit Racing.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-497006

You can buy the heater / AC kit from Vintage air, or summit, or any other place for pretty much (if not exactly) the same price. I went directly through V.A. as there were a few additional things I needed / wanted for my application, and their tech line folks helped me out with that.

Regarding the vents, just get whatever suits your liking. The basic heater / AC unit is the same, you just run the ducting hoses differently for the different vent options. I personally prefer the under the dash vents. They looked like some sort of 70's era dealer add-on to me, which seemed suiting for a Bronco. ;D

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Yeah. I got the knobs from Summit Racing.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-497006

You can buy the heater / AC kit from Vintage air, or summit, or any other place for pretty much (if not exactly) the same price. I went directly through V.A. as there were a few additional things I needed / wanted for my application, and their tech line folks helped me out with that.

Regarding the vents, just get whatever suits your liking. The basic heater / AC unit is the same, you just run the ducting hoses differently for the different vent options. I personally prefer the under the dash vents. They looked like some sort of 70's era dealer add-on to me, which seemed suiting for a Bronco. ;D

Thanks! I see jmhead has the independent movable vents...does anyone have a picture of the full under dash vent kit (all one unit)? I am trying to figure out which set up looks better. Either way I plan to mount under the dash (not in the dash) and want to see which set up looks best...

Spaggyroe

Is this what you’re looking for?

Attachments

• C2F25FE1-F476-42F5-B0F4-5F4C4E22CA29.jpg
    C2F25FE1-F476-42F5-B0F4-5F4C4E22CA29.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 61

Spaggyroe

Yep! Thanks! How is this set up on the knee's/legs? I am a big guy (6'3") and don't want to cramp my space under the dash...

I'm pretty tall myself (6'2") and don't have a problem with it. I sit with my drivers seat all the way back and the vents actually don't come anywhere close to my legs.

Be aware that the under dash piece is actually 2 pcs, but it fits together pretty well and looks like only 1 pc. Also, you still end up running 4 individual flexible ducts from the Vintage Air plenum to the 4 individual vents in the under dash piece.

Give me a shout if you need any more info or pics.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

I'm pretty tall myself (6'2") and don't have a problem with it. I sit with my drivers seat all the way back and the vents actually don't come anywhere close to my legs.

Be aware that the under dash piece is actually 2 pcs, but it fits together pretty well and looks like only 1 pc. Also, you still end up running 4 individual flexible ducts from the Vintage Air plenum to the 4 individual vents in the under dash piece.

Give me a shout if you need any more info or pics.

Thank you! Super helpful.