• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Looking Seat Options

KDML

My winter project is to redo the interior of my Bronco.

I really like the classic look of the stock front buckets. I have read the threads on adding head rests to the stock buckets which I would like to do when I recover the seats. The problem is that I would like to have a matching rear seat, but the design of my current stock rear seat leaves alot to be desired in the comfort and safety department. My wife is pushing for something with a higher back (preferably headrests), in the back, to keep the kids safe.

How can I keep the classic look in back and front, have matching seats back and front and add something safer in the back? I don't mind spending some money on something aftermarket, but all of the patterns are much more modern than I would like.

I am thinking my only option will be something custom, which will probably be more money than I am willing to spend. Anyone have any thoughts?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I'd say hit the junk yards and find a seat out of a minivan or something along those lines, then have it upholstered in the same style as the front. It won't be a totally vintage look but it'll be safer than the stock rear bench. Perhaps something from a later model Jeep might fit the bill too, with "vintage" upholstery.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Check out some of the vendors for classic Mustang parts.

Many now sell seats that are modern underneath, with headrests, but evoke the stitching patterns of the seats used in first-generation Mustangs. (After all, factory Bronco seats are essentially Mustang seats.)

You could probably bolt four of them into a Bronco, although it might be a tight fit in the back.

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
What did you finally decide on KDML? I had the very same question and am new to Broncos. I'd love to see some pics of the final result.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Very nice, what did you do to the front seats? From the looks of your Bronco in the background I think it's only fair that you post more pics....Don't make us beg

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
My interior is also moving to the front burner. And I to like the stock seats. Last summer after knee replacement I work for my neighbor who does aircraft upholstery,if you want to get ideas go to the local airport, airplane seats that you find in business jets and high end private planes are unbelievable.
The seat I saw was not much larger then a stock bronco seat,not only did they recline, but the seat belts and shoulder strap were built in and the head rest when in the down postion would look like a stock bronco seat back but it extend 6" or more above the back when in the up postion,arm rest that when up fit the shape and into the seat back. After looking at these ideas I started to think how or if any of these ideas could be incorporated into the stock seats.The two ideas that I want to incorporated,are the disappearing head rest and the built in shoulder restrant.
Looking around I realized that my 07 chevy PU with bucket seats had the built in shoulder restrant and a head rest which could be revamped to dissapear in to the backs,so look at newer seats and get ideas from them. The seats in my silverado are about the same size as the broncos but have modern styling and improved cushions,without being to much over the top.