• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Slotted Mag ID Help

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
We all have certain days we will always remember. For me: the day I got my driver's license, the night I met my wife, the day my daughter was born, 9-11, and now....the day I got my first set of Aluminum Slotted Dish mags!

Was working up in PA this week and had a chance to stop by fellow member "vintage bronco" Barry's place in MD. Great guy, true-blue Ford guy. Has a bunch of parts listed in the for sale section. I got this set of slots from him, and a couple of small parts for the Bronco, and then he must have used some hypnotic trick or something 'cuz I also left with a nice vintage FE alum intake (that I didn't even know I wanted!). If anybody is considering any of his parts they are all in great condition. He's a Bronco guy (of course) and he also restores vintage Kawasaki's, factory Rotunda and Ford tachs, and has a Beee-Yooo-Tiful triple-black '65 Comet Cyclone out back.

Barry didn't know the brand of these wheels, maybe someone out there knows because they have a similar set. Cast on the inner edge is "15 x 7 EWC - U1" and "MAX WHEEL LOAD 1580 LBS." That's all I can see no name or logo. They are the type that the center cap would slip in from behind, not drilled for mounting screws. Center hole is 3-3/4 from the front side. Here's a few pics, any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 34

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
We all have certain days we will always remember. For me: the day I got my driver's license, the night I met my wife, the day my daughter was born, 9-11, and now....the day I got my first set of Aluminum Slotted Dish mags!

Was working up in PA this week and had a chance to stop by fellow member "vintage bronco" Barry's place in MD. Great guy, true-blue Ford guy. Has a bunch of parts listed in the for sale section. I got this set of slots from him, and a couple of small parts for the Bronco, and then he must have used some hypnotic trick or something 'cuz I also left with a nice vintage FE alum intake (that I didn't even know I wanted!). If anybody is considering any of his parts they are all in great condition. He's a Bronco guy (of course) and he also restores vintage Kawasaki's, factory Rotunda and Ford tachs, and has a Beee-Yooo-Tiful triple-black '65 Comet Cyclone out back.

Barry didn't know the brand of these wheels, maybe someone out there knows because they have a similar set. Cast on the inner edge is "15 x 7 EWC - U1" and "MAX WHEEL LOAD 1580 LBS." That's all I can see no name or logo. They are the type that the center cap would slip in from behind, not drilled for mounting screws. Center hole is 3-3/4 from the front side. Here's a few pics, any help appreciated.

Eaton wheel company
Eagle wheel company
Just guessing.
If they are old they are likely magnesium and not aluminum.

OP
OP
suthernboy

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Thanks Bronconut I'll do some research on those brands.....it doesn't make that much difference I suppose, I just like to know what I got.

Is there some easy way to tell if they are magnesium or aluminum? I mean. without setting them on fire? That may help in dating them. (I did the "magnet test" and have confirmed they are not ferrous :))

OP
OP
suthernboy

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
So I could just turn one over and fill one of the small casting cavities on the back side with vinegar and watch for the fizz? Then clean it off and flush with water I suppose....

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
So I could just turn one over and fill one of the small casting cavities on the back side with vinegar and watch for the fizz? Then clean it off and flush with water I suppose....

I would clean an area up with a scotchbrite and test there. The oxidation may react to the vinegar as well which wouldn't give you a definitive answer.