• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage Regulator Problem??? Will not run....

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Ok. I have changed the battery, alternator, starter, ignition switch and solenoid. My Bronco will crank but will not run. I have volts from the solenoid and coil. I have ran the test. The motor will fire up if I hold the key in the start position but as soon as I let go of the key, it dies. Could this be a voltage regulator problem? What can I try next? I am a newbie to this electrical stuff but just bought a multi meter over the weekend. How exactly do you use this thing? Can you give me some more advice on how to get my baby running??? Thanks........

ransil

Bronco Guru
Ballast resistor bad.
Its buried in the harness coming off the ign switch.

Could be the ign module ( if equiped) find any Ford service manual from 1976-1985 it should have a procedure to test.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Ok. I have changed the battery, alternator, starter, ignition switch and solenoid. My Bronco will crank but will not run. I have volts from the solenoid and coil. I have ran the test. The motor will fire up if I hold the key in the start position but as soon as I let go of the key, it dies. Could this be a voltage regulator problem? What can I try next? I am a newbie to this electrical stuff but just bought a multi meter over the weekend. How exactly do you use this thing? Can you give me some more advice on how to get my baby running??? Thanks........

Still running points or duraspark? Bad pickup in duraspark distrb wil do exactly what you are saying.

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Still running points or duraspark? Bad pickup in duraspark distrb wil do exactly what you are saying.

Agreed. Had this exact problem with a 79 Bronco I bought. Couldnt get it to stay running. Turn the key and it would start. Let go of key and it would stall immediately.

Anthony

OP
OP
LowCountryEB

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
OX1-

I am ignorant as to points or duraspark. Can I email a picture of my setup to someone today for more help? I REALLY want to get this puppy running today if possible. Please email me at info@biggersinc.com and I can reply with pictures. Thanks!

ransil

Bronco Guru

Pick up would cause no start in either key position, module, wireing , ign switch or ballast resistor will cause it not to stay running when the key is in the run position.

ransil

Bronco Guru

Pick up would cause no start in either key position, module, wiring , ign switch or ballast resistor will cause it not to stay running when the key is in the run position.

OP
OP
LowCountryEB

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Damnnnnnn..........I just changed out the voltage regulator and it still will not run. It will crank, but not run. Also, there is a strange loose black wire that I hooked to an open "tube" near the distributor cap, and the truck began smoking from the engine compartment and much more under the dashboard. I immediately took off the positive wire from the battery and unhooked this black wire from near the distributor cap. What in the hell is wrong???????

OX1

Bronco Guru

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
Did you try hooking a jumper wire from the possitive side of the battery to the possitive side of the coil. (see other thread)?:?

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
Duraspark will have these parts. The box will probably be mounted on the fender.

Attachments

• duraspark_sm (Small).jpg
    duraspark_sm (Small).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 38

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
Alright dude look like you have a points style distributor with what appears to be a pertronix ignition module. That mysterious black wire, does it come out of the distributor, if so it needs to be hooked to the negitive side of the coil. See if that gets it if not we'll try again.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Pick up would cause no start in either key position, module, wiring , ign switch or ballast resistor will cause it not to stay running when the key is in the run position.

Maybe EB's are wired different than 78/79 broncs, but it happened to me on my 78 and obviously another member here........ Dropped in a new distr and it ran fine after that.

OP
OP
LowCountryEB

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
66GasGrill..........sorry, no, I have not had any luck yet. I have a friend coming over in the morning to check it out. Maybe I should cheange the distributor cap or find a place for the mysterious black wire to be hooked up to. This is driving me crazy..........Please help if you have anymore advice.

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
Hey bud, I'll give you a call tomorrow. I posted earlier you have what looks like a pertronix ignition module. If that balck wire comes out of the dizzy hook it to the neg side of the coil and see if that gets it.