• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Walnut anyone?

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
I'm kind of old school (upgraded my 8-track to cassette). I've got the old walnut steering wheel shift knob and door locks. My arm rests were toast, so I cut some new ones out of 8/4 walnut stock. Of course they'll look better once lacquered. thoughts?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 269

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I'm kind of old school (upgraded my 8-track to cassette). I've got the old walnut steering wheel shift knob and door locks. My arm rests were toast, so I cut some new ones out of 8/4 walnut stock. Of course they'll look better once lacquered. thoughts?

Definitely, walnut is my favorite North America hardwood. I am doing a custom interior in mine that will be a mix of poisonwood (my favorite South American wood), carbon fiber and stainless steel. The arm rests look good

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! I've been toying with the idea of a wood paneled dash but haven't gotten that far on the build. Was looking at walnut too.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I love Walnut.........I would finish it with 100% Pure Tung Oil.......
This message approved by M1 Garand everywhere.....

Tim

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I'm currently working on a stainless and mahogany dash. I like wood.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
When I was in highschool wood shop...I made a set of walnut switch nobs, and door pulls for my sisters 66 vW Van...They were so cool...she kept the van till around 2000. Everyone who rode in that van...Said WOW....WHO MADE THESE?

OP
OP
americanhorses

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
So dumb question, but what's the deal with the Mc E D's logos

Thanks everyone. I've some ideas for some other 'trim' to match also. I'm working on some speaker boxes for my 1/2 cab right now. I think the Tung oil is better also;)

The McD's thing....I'm a refurbisher of modular office furniture. I buy from brokers everything form a parts list to a whole building. I got the McD stuff on a lode that came from a Corp Office that was remodeling.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I think Tung oil is best for wood.

My personal favorite is: Circa 1850 Marine Grade Tung'n Teak Oil

it the best of both worlds between tung and teak oils. I am using it on the sport fish I am restoring and it gives a deep luster that tung cannot do on it's own. Really good stuff, it's not cheap but well worth the money.

Also for you guys that don't do a lot of woodworking (I know Bax does so this is redundant for him) but, be careful with tung oil, most of it is not tung oil. Make sure the package says 100% tung oil. Most of it is just a varnish blend and does not have a drop of tung oil in it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/finishing/oil-finishes-their-history-and-use

Last edited: