• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Want to sell your old Bronco frame? I saw this -

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am guessing some states are having issues with their brand new frames. So either buying frames and vins and cutting the vins out of the frame and splicing it into a new frame or repairing the old frame. That is my guess.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, it's gotta be something with harvesting the VIN from the old frame. I'd love to hear a really good explanation on how new builders are handling that detail of their builds.

Todd Z.

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
From what I am reading the title has to go with the VIN/frame you trade in to get full price. Then I am guessing they use that VIN on their custom builds.
In Texas, the new frame would likely be considered an "assembled vehicle" once constructed as the title usually follows the frame VIN and subject to emissions/safety requirements of a newer vehicle. There are ways to "replace the frame" with aftermarket on an existing vehicle VIN but getting clear answers between tax offices/DPS steered me away from spending the money to build on a new chassis and then risk the possibility of a state assigned VIN, or worse a vehicle considered a new model year and subject to emissions.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My state would never check the frame. The lady walked out, saw my glove box vin and signed me off.

hummerdan

How does this work if you are in possession of the tile and original frame and you want to upgrade to a new TDK or KE chassis? Can you have the numbers stamped into the new frame? Or do you have to graft the original stamped VIN into the new frame?

Eastwood

Looks like they're most interested in obtaining the VIN's and titles.

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
My state would never check the frame. The lady walked out, saw my glove box vin and signed me off.
My state does on out of state titles...hence the issue if you ever sold a vehicle with an aftermarket frame and they tried to title it in another state.

How does this work if you are in possession of the tile and original frame and you want to upgrade to a new TDK or KE chassis? Can you have the numbers stamped into the new frame? Or do you have to graft the original stamped VIN into the new frame?

The KE frames have their manufacturer serial number on them and they will not adapt your VIN in any way. They generally give you a manufacturer certificate of origin with their frame number and you save that.
Best way is to have the title for current VIN in hand with it registered/inspected. Then you do the frame swap, you show them the manufacturer certificate of origin for the frame at DPS, and they correct the title under the existing 66-77 VIN to include the new manufacturer frame serial #/VIN.

People replace frames from collisions so there is a process but some states are stricter than others with much more scrutiny. Depends what your state considers as the VIN per the title.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some states it would be illegal. It's a pretty gray area.

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Looks like they're most interested in obtaining the VIN's and titles

Smart business for them...you need to sell original VIN vehicles into certain states and that cost continues to increase. Instead of paying somebody $7500-$10k for a titled frame, you trade them for a couple $K in steel and labor

hummerdan

Anyone in CA have experience with swapping an aftermarket frame to their titled and registered Bronco? What is the process?

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
Anyone in CA have experience with swapping an aftermarket frame to their titled and registered Bronco? What is the process? Mine has had a frame i built for 10 years and no ones has asked to check it and they dont have any need to
if it is registered it will not be a problem unless you need a verification of some sort.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
A new aftermarket frame is no different than any other aftermarket part you install on your bronco. As long as you have the paperwork to prove you bought a new frame to replace your old titled frame in your name its all legitimate. Dont try to restamp, don’t try to hide it, just prove you legitimately own your vehicle and you legitimately purchased an aftermarket frame to replace your old frame is all that is needed.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I have a couple of frames in Honolulu, Hawaii. How will this work for me?