• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn Hub Lockouts: Need a little help!

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Ok, here is my question. I have searched through the archives and have found a new problem with installing the hub locks not found in archives. I removed the right side and loosened the wheelbearing locknut. There was a little washer in there with the small holes in it. I could not get it to come out! So I just put the bearing locknut back on and now the hub lock is about 1/8"-1/4" away from being flush on the hub itself. So when I go to the left side I did not even mess with removing the wheel bearing nut and mounted the hublocks. They are ALOT closer, with just enough gap to grab a fingernail. What have I done wrong? Any ideas? If you need a pic, let me know. Also any ideas on getting the washer out of there?

johns74

Loc.
Tucson , Az
Under that washer is another bearing retaining nut this nut has a little pin sticking out of it you may have moved the washer enough to get the pin out of the hole. The washer will come out its just a pain because of the small space. Take it out and then put it back in making sure to get the pin in a hole.
Hope this helps John

Last edited:

don parris

Loc.
cumming ga
to get the washer off i just use a piece of stiff wire about 5 inches long .bend about 1/4 inch to use as a hook and you can get it behind the washer and work it off

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
To remove the washer I have taken a common nail (about 10d or 12d will do) and flattened the pointed end then bent it into a 90. Use it as a hook to catch the washer and pull it out. Carry it in the tool box and it will always be there for you. ;D

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Radio Shack has a set of picks, kinda like dental picks, for $5 or so. I find I use these all the time for o-rings and such. They also are perfect for this job.

JP

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I find that snap ring pliers work well and makes it east to ajust when linening it up good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :cool: :p %)

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I used something like this but made by Craftman.
media.nl

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D I find that snap ring pliers work well and makes it east to ajust when linening it up good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :cool: :p %)

i second wild bill. the ends of the pliers fit right in those little holes aroung the ring.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I use snap ring plars too.

I think there's something else wrong in there tho.
If the he couldn't get the washer off to begin with, it's probably still on the pin.
If it isn't on the pin and he torqued down the outer nut to 50 lb/ft, the pin would be crushed flat so the nut would still be in the same position as if it were done proper.
The hub lock-outs do not contact the bearing nuts anyways so even if the nut was a quarter inch further out than normal, it wouldn't be affecting the position of the lock-outs.

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Well, the washer is on the pin, I know that. But like I said I never even removed the left side bearing nut and the outer part of the lockout is not flush against the wheel hub. Guess I will be tearing it back down again.

Last edited: