• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn Prm Hubs not engaging

bralston

All, I just bought a bronco with Premium Warn Hubs (I believe). The 4-wheel drive engages, I jacked up the bronco and the front axle shaft turns and the shafts to the hubs turn. When I take off the hubs and press the washer in, it engages the wheel. But when I put the warn hubs back on and lock them, they won't engage the wheel. Are the springs to weak ? I stretched the spring (there is only one spring per hub) and that still didn't work. What is the deal anyone ???

Brad Ralston
bradralston@msn.com

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
Make sure that the springs are free to move I had one bind up and I had no front wheel drive, the spring was just bound up on itself

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Did you fill the area with a lot of grease? If you did that may be what the problem is. These hubs need very little lube.

Just a thought
Bax

OP
OP
B

bralston

They're both free to move as I stretched them a little. Also, I haven't put any grease or anything. Should I spray wd-40 or put gear oil in there? I have no clue.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
No. The hubs only need enough lubricant to prevent corrosion. Usually enough grease splatters into them from the bearings that they really don't need any extra lubrication. I.E. They need to be free to move in and out only. A lot of people are under the impression that the hubs spin and need lube. In reality they do not though except for the small amount necessary from the time they are turned in until they lock into place. Call it 1/32 or so of a turn. Otherwise they stay stationary in relation to the wheel. (If they are unlocked then they just sit there, if they are locked then they just form a solid connection)

Are the big stock springs and retainer still in there? A lot of people leave that big spring in when it is supposed to be removed. if it's left in there it will destroy the hub.

Take the cap off and manually push on it (The ring that actually engages it) and spin the tire to see if it engages fairly easy. Might be a burr on the axle causing it to bounce off it instead of engaging.