• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water In Oil-Extra Hole?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
"76" 302 block and heads, Edelbrock intake. Oil was color of coffee and cream, but no gas or leaking into cylinders. Pulled intake and no evidence of water crossover leaking. Took air hose and blew between head and block, bubbles blowing into crossover at rear corner. Pulled heads and no visable problem but gasket looks like a weak point, leak was definatly there, leaking into valley. What is the purpose of the top (extra) hole in gasket? Is it the wrong gasket? I see no reason for it and all but one set of gaskets I looked up have it. And that set is twice the price.

Attachments

• Block small.jpg
    Block small.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Head small.jpg
    Head small.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Gasket small.jpg
    Gasket small.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those extra holes, just off center of the top hole are for other years where they addressed certain cooling issues due to changes over the years.

In the first picture, the holes from bottom left going clockwise
2 large oblong-water risers from the block to the heads
Smooth round-head oil drain back
threaded-head bolt
small hole (that aligns with the slot on the head)- specialized head cooling hole
Threaded hole-head bolt
Triangle holes that do not go through to head, gasket cooling to minimize blowout between the cylinders.

I am personally amazed that you could get bubble in the coolant with a blow gun blowing at the head gasket.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Looking at the problem from intake side with heads on and it becomes a lot clearer. Only good came out of this was found 1 bent rocker stud and a stripped rocker nut on the other head. Top end was just done w/ new cam, intake, and carb. Not even broke in yet. Hope this the only thing that pop's up. No water in oil when I bought it. I knew sooner or later I'd get burnt buying non-running vehicles. Just the chances you take.