• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water leaking into the cab

Justinkurn

Hey guys,

I just finished up my bronco restoration and I noticed when I wash the car and spray water on the the windshield, quite a bit falls into the feet area of the driver and passenger side and a little directly in the middle. The windshield has the weather stripping between it at the hinge but I was wondering if there was a spot I missed or some holes that I need to plug? Thanks in advance!

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
As far as I've been able to solve the problem is to just slow down the leaks. I put some gooey sealant on mine, top and bottom, but it still comes in at the corners. The doors are the worst, through the wing vent, window felt, window frame at the top. Just think of it more as an umbrella than a sealed cabin.;D

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As new, there were no problems with the leaks you describe, nor any others. The seals and window gaskets we can get now are out of spec and not as flexible as the OE parts. I had to cut sections out of the lift gate window gaskets just to get them in the frame.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
It would be suggested to buy a 78’ or newer, to solve this issue. All the early EB’s leak.

Mark

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Todd Z's Bronco history book has several pages showing Ford service bulletins from back in the day on how to fix leaks. Literally pages of them. They leaked from the factory.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I bought a '74 and a '77 new. No leaks in either one for many years. Now in a full frame off restoration, I'm having to use black silicone often.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 2013 Rubicon, water leaking in is considered a feature.

AC932

Contributor
I got a piece of 1/8" flat stock to reinforce the area where the hardtop meets the windshield and cranked the crap outta the bolts. Only a small leak from the top front corner of each door now :)

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I had a leak on the passenger side of my 72. it was a seam leak below the windshield on the passenger side. Open the hood and look at the area below the windshield. Their is a seam above the cowl and below the windshield. The seam sealer dried up and probably cracked. A little more seam sealer stopped the water leak that always showed up on the passenger side floor after I washed it. Ford was clever and put the overlap between the two body panels so it acted like a rain gutter and collected the water so it would drip down inside and keep you feet cool if you drove it right after you washed it.