• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water-proof seats?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

I am building my 77 and it is going to be topless and then reading more about cages and seats/seatbelts etc. I am now thinking that maybe I would replace seats for safety and waterproof incase we get caught in the rain. Any recommendations? I was originally planning on using the OEM seats with 5 point harnesses. Cage is from WH, Family cage.
gV4rhlW.jpg
Body is fiberglass.
xYGVF7a.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can get wet Okole seat covers made of neoprene. with 5 point harnesses you will probably want to add head rests or buy a more modern seat. Wet Okole makes then for about anything. Expensive but well made.

Kalex

Contributor
I have Corbeau Moab neoprene and they are great! I have also had wet Okole' on another bronco I had. Also a very good choice. Neoprene does not like a lot of direct sunlight on a consistent basis though. Just a heads up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wet Okole are wetsuit material, Neoprene. But are NOT waterproof. The seams are just stitched, not sealed. Got a truck with them once, worthless garbage. Someone else was having a wet dream wanting them so I was happy to give them away.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have black cloth seats from a Miata
Not waterproof but
They dry out very quickly

Very affordable , have speakers in the headrest and they recline

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
From what I remember aren't the stock seats waterproof? I run seats from an eclipse but also run top less most of the time. When it rains I just put a big trash bag over em. If they get wet i just put a towel behind me and it helps. You can buy "weatherproof "seat covers but they're still gonna absorb some water and make you wet when you sit in em.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The vinyl covered PRP seats in mine do very well in the rain, towel it out and usually the stitching doesn't even get wet.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Cordura nylon with good seam sealer properly applied is 100% waterproof.
Have a good upholstery shop reupholster your seats with it.

Last edited:

Bronco4x4

For the neoprene seat covers >> How about applying urethane or silicone to the seams underneath with some good waterproof tape afterwards? Never tried this but just a thought. I have used a product called "Blob" made for wet suit repair. This will seal the seams but it won't be cheap. This stuff works on dirt bike seat tears real good. A buddy has used this on his 4x4 quad CV boot tear and it held well.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Something to think about... I have cloth seats and haven't had a top for about a decade. (Needless to say, I try not to drive in bad weather.) I dislike with a passion vinyl seats and all the waterproof covers out there (they burn my ass in the sun and my backside turns into a sweaty swamp). My plan is to get pontoon boat seat covers and just keep them in a bag in the back. The idea is that when I need to cover I can just slip them over the seats and if needed I can just sit on top of them.