• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water Pump Bolts vs Studs for PS Pump

stanz

Loc.
Portland
I’m building an Explorer 5.0 and reverting to the stock v belt set up (have correct timing cover and water pump). I’m using all new hardware and unclear if I should be using studs or bolts on the water pump for the ps bracket.

Which one will provide the correct belt alignment?

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The pump pivots on a stud. The others are bolts, if you want to go original EB. All the front dress of the EB 289/302 works on an Explorer 302 except the harmonic damper that has to be 50oz. imbalance.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is the stud where the ps pump pivots stock? I know wh sells the stud kit but most the broncos I've dealt with just had a long bolt there. Also seen plenty using washers to get it lined up.

OP
OP
stanz

stanz

Loc.
Portland
Is the stud where the ps pump pivots stock? I know wh sells the stud kit but most the broncos I've dealt with just had a long bolt there. Also seen plenty using washers to get it lined up.

I’m good with that stud. Yes, WH, Tom’s and Mustang shops all sell that stud. My question is around the water pump/timing cover bolts that attach the PS pump bracket. Mine have been missing since the aftermarket A/C was removed.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
The water pump uses bolts. The stud that the power steering pump rotates on, screws into the head, not the water pump. The power steering pump uses a front bracket that attaches to the water pump using two of the water pump bolts. Then attaches to the stud via a nut, and then a bolt into the power steering pump main bracket for adjusting belt tightness.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I said all this in post #2. The biggest hurtle is getting the correct pulleys and harmonic damper.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Which one will provide the correct belt alignment?

Studs or bolts: either one would provide the correct alignment. The pump adjusting bracket sits against the water pump in a stock V8 Bronco set up so it's not going to matter. Provided it's a straight threaded stud we are talking about. Three items will determine the belt alignment:
Water pump pulley
Crank pulley
Steering pump pulley
Each of these when hooked up to a correct part: water pump, harmonic balancer and power steering pump will line up properly and work.

I think it's been said but the biggest issue with using the later model Explorer 5.0 motor and switching it to old school Bronco V belts will be getting the correct balancer. One like this will work.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Pro_Street_Harmonic_Damper/bronco_More_Engine_Parts

As long as all the other parts from timing chain cover out are early Bronco V8 you should not have a problem.

Jim

Attachments

• 8058.jpg
    8058.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 4

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The problem with the stud is it is threaded different on both ends. once you set the stud in place everything has to go on over the end of the stud so everything in front of it has to be removed. You can put the stud in the pump pivot and try to hang the pump but we are not built with enough hands to hold everything and double nut the stud in. One of Fords rube Goldberg contraptions.