• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water pumps

OP
OP
brbuilder

brbuilder

I contacted GMB again and was told that there is no difference between the 125-1420AL and the 125-1420P pumps. The 125-1420 is the cast iron version of this pump. From the pictures on Rock Auto the housing of the 1420AL appears slightly different than the 1420 cast iron pump, more circular around the impeller location. About $21 more for the 1420AL than the 1420 cast iron version and another $13 just to have a ‘P’ instead of ‘AL’ in the part number.

Guess the flowkooler version of this pump with the purple impeller would be a true upgrade/performance pump.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Paul's last post about pressure and heat is spot on... Flowkooler is also not just talking more flow but more pressure...and more pressure is extremely important to aid cooling.

Do NOT confuse block pressure with radiator and cap pressure. These are two different things. OK, a good 80% of you probably just quit reading...read on. :)

Ron Davis, NASCAR, all the big radiator companies know this. NASCAR engine blocks are upwards of 50psi... a good FlowKooler waterpump generates as much as 35 psi in the block- not the radiator.

I will find my link on this that I posted up years ago. I performed the same test that Ron at Ron Davis described to me... I got a few WTH's from guys until other's posted up that they did it and it was correct... more block water pressure greatly assists in cooling as it keeps minature steam pockets from forming on the cyl walls and therefore has greater heat transfer from the high heat areas of the block to the water which of course then cools off in the radiator.

I then talked with suppliers of NASCAR engines & cooling systems and they readily agreed like "doesn't everybody know this about block pressure"?? lol

Think of the t-stat as the required restrictor that not only limits "all" water flow for warm up but also limits "max" flow to help pressurize the block. A missing t-stat would not restrict any flow and as we all know proper working t-stat helps cool an engine much better than a missing tstat.

Here's my link: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256487&highlight=Torture+test

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Scroll to post #19 if you don't want to read about the Exploder mechanical fan to Tauras elect fan comparison. The actual test starts on post #22

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/sh...t=Torture+test

Flowkooler has had problems the past couple years with tolerances and fitment of their pumps at least on reverse rotation SBF applications.

During the installation of my flowkooler pump a couple years back I noticed as I was tightening the bolts that the shaft wasn't rotating freeling. Backed the bolts out with my fingers and it rotated. ??? After a LOT of measuring of gasket thickness, impellor depth, impellor location on the shaft, I determined that I needed to press the impellor on appr. .017" more to allow it to spin freely.

After calling Summit who said call Flowkooler and after calling FlowKooler who said to stack gaskets to fix the problem...really?? Stack gaskets to fix the problem your assembly line created? Stack gaskets to create a larger clearance in the volute so the very increased pressure and efficiency I purchased it for would be compromised? Don't think so...

Anyway, I pressed the impellor on that amount and all is good. Since then, I have helped two local buddies with the exact same problem with FlowKooler reverse rotation pumps.

Last edited:

landshark99

Bronco Guru
we also had issues with a new flowkooler pump impeller rubbing the timing cover on my 351 in the racer. As you mentioned, we found out the impeller needed to be pushed onto the shaft slightly and its been all good since.

Scroll to post #19 if you don't want to read about the Exploder mechanical fan to Tauras elect fan comparison. The actual test starts on post #22

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/sh...t=Torture+test

Flowkooler has had problems the past couple years with tolerances and fitment of their pumps at least on reverse rotation SBF applications.

During the installation of my flowkooler pump a couple years back I noticed as I was tightening the bolts that the shaft wasn't rotating freeling. Backed the bolts out with my fingers and it rotated. ??? After a LOT of measuring of gasket thickness, impellor depth, impellor location on the shaft, I determined that I needed to press the impellor on appr. .017" more to allow it to spin freely.

After calling Summit who said call Flowkooler and after calling FlowKooler who said to stack gaskets to fix the problem...really?? Stack gaskets to fix the problem your assembly line created? Stack gaskets to create a larger clearance in the volute so the very increased pressure and efficiency I purchased it for would be compromised? Don't think so...

Anyway, I pressed the impellor on that amount and all is good. Since then, I have helped two local buddies with the exact same problem with FlowKooler reverse rotation pumps.