• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water Temp & Oil Pressure Sensor ?'s

Lawdawg

Loc.
Aurora, CO
I'm trying to stumble through putting my Bronco back together and have a few questions. I'm trying to get the wiring done and want to connect the sensors so I don't leave anything undone. I've read that some of these ports may be vacuum ports but could use the help in determining what to do next.

I've got an Edelbrock Performer intake and the distributor covers the port where I think the temp gauge is suppose to go. Will one of the ports at the rear of the intake work for the water temp sensor? Or any other ideas of where or how I can mount it would be appreciated. I think it should go at #4, but was wondering if it could go in #1 or #2?

While I'm talking about sensors, the restoration shop that screwed me over :cry:, wrecked the plug where the oil pressure sensor should go. Is there some where else on the 289 it could go?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Numbered Ports (4).JPG
    Numbered Ports (4).JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Numbered Ports Close (1).JPG
    Numbered Ports Close (1).JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
I'm trying to stumble through putting my Bronco back together and have a few questions. I'm trying to get the wiring done and want to connect the sensors so I don't leave anything undone. I've read that some of these ports may be vacuum ports but could use the help in determining what to do next.

I've got an Edelbrock Performer intake and the distributor covers the port where I think the temp gauge is suppose to go. Will one of the ports at the rear of the intake work for the water temp sensor? Or any other ideas of where or how I can mount it would be appreciated. I think it should go at #4, but was wondering if it could go in #1 or #2?

I think #1 & #2 are vacuum ports that tap into the intake runners. On a stock intake the temp sensor is located near #4.

While I'm talking about sensors, the restoration shop that screwed me over :cry:, wrecked the plug where the oil pressure sensor should go. Is there some where else on the 289 it could go?

What "Plug" are you referring to? Do you mean that long hexagon tube that screws into the side of the timing cover (behind the fuel pump)? If so, I pretty sure you can buy new ones of those.

Ryan.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
The two rear posrts are for vacuum

The front two ports are water

How did they screw up the oil sender, can you remove it??

If so the extensions are cheep and easy to find

Attachments

• intakeSU.JPG
    intakeSU.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Lawdawg

Lawdawg

Loc.
Aurora, CO
Sensors

That's what I was afraid of on the water temp. The distributor I got covers the plug. I will have to rethink that one.

The oil pressure plug is completely hacked up. They told me they could not get it to budge when trying to take it out. Are these by chance a reverse thread? I'm not sure exactly what they tried after that, but it's jacked up pretty bad. I haven't tried to get in there and mess with it yet and was hoping there might be another place available to put the sensor.

I think I've got at least three extensions! Bought a new one, then found the old one (go figure), and then ended up with another one when I repo'd my Bronco from the shop. I just need a place to put one.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll go sit and stare at it for a little while longer tonight and see if anything comes to me. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The temps sending unit should be mounted up at the front of the intake.

If you mount it at the back then you won't know how hot the water is coming out of the heads. Most of the water travels through the block front to back. Then up into the heads. then through the heads back to front. Out of the heads into the intake, through the thermostat and out of the engine. the heads are the most critical part of the engine to cool. You really should know how hot the water coming off them is. That intake doesn't even have cooling passages at the back so it doesn't really matter.

1,2 are vacuum
3,4 are coolant 3 is normally the heater. 4 is the temp sensor for the gauge

I would recomend realigning the throttle cable. That angle you have will wear a groove into the aluminium sheath end and cause the cable to start binding up.

OP
OP
Lawdawg

Lawdawg

Loc.
Aurora, CO
Sensors

Thanks for all the information. I've been able to twist the distributor enough to keep the engine running and insert the sensor. I've verified the sensor works, that's a relief.

I just got the throttle cable installed and still have to trim the cable and make final adjustments. Thanks for the heads up on the alignment, I've adjusted that already.

Now to try and tackle the oil pressure problem. Thanks again.