• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weird brake bleeding issue

Audog

Installed a dana 44 with Chevy disk conversion on my 1970. Used existing mc and the h block. Ground the knuckles, bleed rear first but the rear would squirt a little fluid and stop. Sometimes you could open the bleed screw all the way up or take it out and the peddle would not go to the floor or push fluid out. Front bleed fine, stops ok but will lock the rear before the front.

Why would the fluid not bleed out of the rear even with the bleed screw all the way out? It will bleed fine a pump or so then just stop.

Do I need a diff mc?

How about a prop valve?

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
You may have crud ( Technical term )... built up in the lines. May need to remove H block and literaly push the fluid through the lines first...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The lack of a prop valve will have no effect on bleeding. Did you bleed your brakes prior to doing the front disc conversion? It's quite possible that the issue you're seeing now existed before and has nothing to do with the changes you've recently made to the front brakes. That said, if your rear brakes are locking up, then they're definitely getting fluid flow and pressure, so if you can't get fluid out the bleeder during bleeding, then my guess would be an obstructed bleed port which new wheel cylinders should fix.

fordtrucksrule

you need to use the master cylinder off a 76-77 bronco it was designed for disk and drum.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pedal doesnt have to and wont always go to the floor during bleeding. Remember you have another half of a brake system that will build pressure. Aside from that you may have a bad brake hose sometimes they come apart inside and a little flap of rubber will clogg the passage causing similar conditions to what your experiancing. You dont have to have a 76/77 MC. As long as you ensure you dont have a residual pressure valve in the port going to your front brakes your fine.

OP
OP
A

Audog

Someone else suggested the hose on the rear also. I will change that and check the mc port also.

All the 76-77 mc have the ports on the passenger side, where the one I have has ports on the driver side. Didn't want to change the line around.:cry: