• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weld on beadlocks

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Great Lakes Offroad has a real good price on theirs and you can get a lot of different styles. Here is the link. Shawn is a Bronco owner and is on this site as GLO. He was talking about a mass buy coming soon hopefully.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
How straight forward are the weld on bead locks, I know some of you have done it this way!? I wouldn't mind seeing pic's of work or steps taken to accomplish this, this is the route I'm thinking of taking myself. Thanks

Shawn

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
some kits require you to cut off the outer portion of the bead depending on the rim, others just weld on, if you are decent at mig welding and have a good grinder it's pretty easy from what I have seen.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
Those don't look bad either!

I've seen some different aluminum style bead locks and how they hold the tire (special channel), do these work the same? I just don't know, and have not seen them mounted before, is it the same idea? Thanks

Shawn

same sort of deal just welded to an aluminum rim instead of steel

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Try offroad overstock.

I have a set from there. I'm pretty happy with them.

acbronco66

Loc.
Alexander City, Al
I have a set from copperhead fab in texas. They are a direct weld on to the rim and I have not had any problem with them up to this point. I researched this alott before I tryed it. If you can weld or know somebody that can this is a very easy project. I do know that Great Lake Off-road has a much better selection for outer ring styles. The prices are similiar. Good luck

Ross Baker
Bama Gang

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
right now I am wondering if they can be balanced again, for highway speeds.

the most common way that I have heard of is to use plastic airsoft bb's inside the tire, they will constantly balance the tire as it spins, no tire shop will touch them after they are beadlocks , so get used to mounting and dismounting your own tires

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
the most common way that I have heard of is to use plastic airsoft bb's inside the tire, they will constantly balance the tire as it spins, no tire shop will touch them after they are beadlocks , so get used to mounting and dismounting your own tires

Not true I have a set of Trail Ready and the Tire shop mounted them

Brian

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
My local les schwabb put then on the machine for me too, its funny watching them put a pound of weights on a wheel ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
I use the airsoft BB's, Bronco has no problem running at hi way speeds, I get a slight wobble or something at 44-50 mph but other wise I have no balance issues. tires are 35" and beadlocks are Allied.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Haven't ever used a weld on kit, but I do buy stuff from Ruff Stuff and have been very pleased with their products and service.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/beadlock-kits-c-17.html

These are the ones I'm running. Pretty simple and straight forward. I used 4 quarters as spacers around the rim to center the ring and went to welding. I used a mig welder but if you have access to a tig you'll get a lot better looking weld and less chance of a leak. I didn't do to bad...only one rim had a small leak that I had to go back and weld up. Hopefully Santa will bring me a tig welder this year...but I'm not holding my breath ;D The only problem is getting all the dang bolts tightened equally around the rim! What a PIA...but well worth it in the end;)

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
tully fab weld on's. 32 bolt. just grind the paint off the rim & go. the inner ring fits inside the lip of the rim. I used 1 cup of dasiy bb's per tire.
DSCN002005951.JPG

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
There are a lot of clever weld-on beadlock kits out there.

I prefer the ones that are stamped, to both center the tire, and add stiffness to the ring, where welding another 'anti coning ring' comes up short.

The MRT's are stamped, I think that the Eaton's are as well.

BE AWARE WHEN YOU BUY:

These are also marketed to the dirt track racers, and are made with very thin materials that will be damaged in short order if you do not specify that you need the rock crawling, heavy duty units.

I didn't know that Tolly was pimping his wares for sale, interesting.