• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

weld your own 1 piece front clip

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Nearing the end of our '77 build. We want a 1-piece front clip and have a fiberglass clip in the barn. But, as you may know, the grille is not cut out and will either require detailed dremil action or surgical implantation of a steel grille.

So, I had a thought to just take my original steel hood, outer front fenders and grill and weld them together to make a steel front clip.

Thoughts? Will it be too heavy? Will it be to flexible and need bracing? Is it just a horrible idea and I should just begin working on the grill of the fiberglass clip?

Also, which tilt mounting kit would you recommend?

Jeff

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tilt front ends are not very common. Don't be surprised if you don't get much response to your inquery.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
If you want to run any kind of custom bumper do not make it a tilt forward one piece. I have a 1 piece clip that tilts forward and I hate it, as soon as I get the rest of the truck done I am going to figure out how to make it tilt backwards. If you mount it tilt forward there is no way to get a non-stock bumper or a winch on it. As for it being one piece that is nice, I can get to almost anything in the engine are, I can even disconnect the engine from the tranny standing up. For working on it is nice, but it really needs to be mounted so it opens like a normal hood towards the truck. I don't think it will limit any access that way and should actually be better, because you can work on the front of the truck without having to wedge yourself between the clip and the frame.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will try to post pics of mine tomorrow... completely custom.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We're using a fiberglass tub on our flathead EB project..and I'm very seriously thinking about making a one-piece steel tilt front clip for that. Be interested to see some ideas and/or examples

methcat

Loc.
long beach
If you want to run any kind of custom bumper do not make it a tilt forward one piece. I have a 1 piece clip that tilts forward and I hate it, as soon as I get the rest of the truck done I am going to figure out how to make it tilt backwards. If you mount it tilt forward there is no way to get a non-stock bumper or a winch on it. As for it being one piece that is nice, I can get to almost anything in the engine are, I can even disconnect the engine from the tranny standing up. For working on it is nice, but it really needs to be mounted so it opens like a normal hood towards the truck. I don't think it will limit any access that way and should actually be better, because you can work on the front of the truck without having to wedge yourself between the clip and the frame.

a couple years ago i almost bought one with a front tilt glass clip. it had a rock/plate bumper with a winch and it worked pretty well. i'm trying to remember where the hinge line was, but it seems like it must be possible.. i do remember the hinge was ugly, but functional. was a nice truck all around. mostly i didn't get it because though i didn't think i'd be able to open it inside my garage...

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fr4b1hde88q29ob/hmkymSrhCP

this is a link to my dropbox folder of the pics I took this morning. I'll try to write up a pic by pic description later, but we're heading to a rangers game and need to get gone now.

Really quickly though, I am contemplating rebuilding my hinge to be a double hinge so I can put new fenders on and not have to cut them and use the latch system I've built. The tabs at the back of the fenders have Dzus fasteners to hold the fender pieces together.

The hood has bolts welded to the bottom flange and hole drilled through the inside fender flange to bolt into the square tubing frame.

The hinge is made from a Ford Backhoe swing chain, with two pieces of flat bar bolted top and inside of the frame right behind where the bumper welds on. This allows for adjustment if necessary.

I used old beat up body pieces because that's all I had. The fenders both had rusted thru top front corners and the hood was on it when the PO rolled the truck and make the front clip look rounded over like it belonged on about a 1998 Taurus.... had to straighten it out and bondo some holes over.

The limiting device is just an air cylinder we had in dads storage "warehouse." He buys stuff like this whenever he sees it "cuz we might be able to use it sometime." He has another one just like it that I'll eventually mount on the other side. Right now it takes 110 lbs of pressure to raise the hood, and then it slams up and then slams down. So until I get the other side mounted, i'm not worried about on board air.

The whole thing was my dad's idea, and he held pieces while I built... The hood pins were more of my design because the originals squeaked way too much so I bought the Autofab hood pin bushing set. Awesome idea, but I can't bolt them into the hood because of the angle the pins come thru the hole just before it seats down. Maybe when the other air cylinder is mounted, it will work better and all the air volume and pressure can overcome the tight hole and angle difference. So for now, the bushings come out before raising the hood.

For the record I have a 3" Body lift.

Hope this helps. It did take a full day of engineering to mount it and build the first hood pin setup. Then I spent about 4 hours one day putting the new pins on it and getting them located right. If the pins were leaned toward the front perpendicular to a line running through the hinge and hole through the hood, it would latch real easy and I could leave the bushings in all the time. But that would require cutting and fabbing a countersunk area into the top of the hood. Haven't had that gumption yet.

Have fun. Gotta go.