• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welded Windshield

stingray427

Has anyone ever welded their windshield in place of the hinge? I dont plan on folding mine down and currently have it tied to the cage with the WH ties but was thinking that the whole thing would be a whole lot sturdier and cleaner looking if it was just welded (seamless). Feedback...

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I removed mine, treated the rust, rewelded the hinge, then added a bead of "Right Stuff" gasket material where the hinge pinches, and then stood the windshield up in place. It squeezed the goop out from between the hinges, which sealed the hinge against rainwater creeping in through the hinge and settling in the tray between the windshield and dash.

If you weld it, you can also install the wipers under the dash instead of above..

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If you plan on running trails at all, I would recommend keeping the hinge functional. Over the weekend on an easy run, I had to lower my windshield to get out of a pretty sticky situation. If it was welded in place I would have torn it off. Folded down, I was able to get out of that jam with no body damage...

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I don't see why. I've never folded the windshield down to remove the dash.

Then you got a few screws loose.....well the bronco does. There are screws holding the back of the dash to the window channel.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yeah, I never put those screws in, and the dash is still rock-solid. (Quiet, too.) And since he'd probably pull the dash to do the welding, he's prolly not gonna put those screws in, either. ;) Right?