• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding a Gas Tank?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wanted to know who, if any of you guys have welded on a gas tank? When I sliced mine last week I started thinkin' if someone could weld it back. I don't really care what it looks like, just needs to be functional. There is a slice about 9" long as you can see in the pics below. I have managed to pull i the two sides of the rip, back together somewhat. Could I cut the back panel out and weld a new one in??? I was pricing tanks just like this 23 gal and they are $350.00 plus. Didn't wanna go that route if I could salvage this one, plus I need one another tank for my' 68 too I am gonna have to buy. (Too much money goin out...not enough comin' in :-[ :-[ ) Any ideas. For those that have welded a tank...what is involved so I don't go BOOM? Let me know.

Thanks MUch,

Blue71

Attachments

• Img_0009.jpg
    Img_0009.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Img_0009.jpg
    Img_0009.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Img_0007.jpg
    Img_0007.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 18
  • Img_0005.jpg
    Img_0005.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Img_0002.jpg
    Img_0002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 18

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Yep a Radiator shop can do it. The tank must first be cleaned(washed out) to get rid of the fumes. A empty used gas tank is more dangerous than a full one. After that should not be a problem welding it. I have welded a few Tanks. Motorcycle tanks ;D

Now I know why they sell them Skid Plates :eek:

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
If you take it to a radiator shop they can hot tank it and it will be safe. I washed a Mustang tank out and cut the bottom off to install a rear sump for two 1/2 inch lines. I stuck a hose in there with some dish washing liquid and just let it run and run. I wouldn't try welding it still in the truck. If you fill it with water it won't blow up. The water leaves no place for fumes and it is the fumes that blow up. Take it out, let a hose run in there for a while, let it fill with water , and weld it up with water still in the tank. I get nervous near used tanks. The first time I did it I tied a burning rag on a very long stick and held it near the tank to see if it would blow ;D

Damn, took all this time to write this and you had three replies before I got done. I guess I need a typing class :(

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I watched a 1980 Chevy 4X4 burn to the ground due to trying to weld up a hole in one of the tanks (I wasn't welding, just a bystander). If you were to do it, I would at least remove the tank from the truck before welding on it.

Kidney

2badrotties said:
The first time I did it I tied a burning rag on a very long stick and held it near the tank to see if it would blow ;D

:(

LMAO...Dunno why but I can just see myself trying that as well. Although it would be much funnier to video tape some one doing that and sneaking up beind them and yelling "BOOM" ;D

67ster

Bronco Guru
I do it on a regular basis at work on aluminum diesel truck tanks. Usually they are removed and steamed inside and out . We use an argon bottle and regulator plus a hose long enough to reach inside the tank , we seal off the filler with duct tape and let the argon replace the air inside . On steel I've used CO2 gas and once used about 5lbs. of dry ice in lieu of gas, same thing actually . I did try to weld a tank full of water once , gas welding , didn't work too well because the water kept absorbing the heat and it also turned to steam creating a bigger problem.

Bucmaster

I've helped my father-in-law weld many gas tanks. All he did was drain the tank, then hook a hose from the exhaust of a good running, stock efi car WITH a catalitic(sp) converter to purge the fuel vapors. Never seen him weld a big gash like in the photo though.

Also, my brother-in-law (son of F-in-L) filled grampa's gas tank from his gas powered Cat with water to weld. Tried to do it with a torch, but could'nt get it hot enough. So Grampa said to drain the water, which his grandson did. B-in-L then touched the torch to the tank, which blew up, throwing the baffal out at a high rate of speed. Just missed my brother-in-law's brother-in-law. Sent the second B-in-L to the hospital, but luckly, no real injury's. It turned the tank inside out. Had a heck of a time finding a replacement tank, but thats another story. Sorry about all the in-laws. But thats how it went down. Be careful.