• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding gas tank question?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If you buy your own Co2 cylinder from a welding supply store, you can refill it anywhere as often as you like. If you rent someones cylinder, you will probably have to get refills only at that place of business. You also may need to return it if you move from the area you are living or forefit your deposit. If you experiment with different blends of argon-cO2 etc, sometimes the supplier will color-code the cylinder with Paint for identification purposes of the contents, in which case a leased cylinder may be a better way to go.

Acetylene is a different story, they will always want an exchange because acetylene needs to be filled very slowly and it can take days to refill them safely.

I prefer owning my equipment whenever possible so I will have the freedom to do with it as I please. BH

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
[quote author=canadabronco link=board=5;threadid=16118;start=0#msg122404 date=1049742906]
I want to swith from non-gas mig welding to argon/CO2. Question is should I buy a tank or do the pay to use their tanks? How much should I pay for a tank if it is a better idea? Thanks.
[/quote]
The only problem I have run into is your own tanks need to be inspected I think every 10 years. they need to be kept in pretty nice shape (no rust or damage) and hydro tested. Lease tanks are kinda nice you dont have to worry about scratching the paint on the tank and having it rust. I think I paid $120 for a 55?' tank its about 2'5 foot tall 8" diameter lasts quite a long time for its size noting compared to the q tanks we have at work though

G

Hey, try a restaraunt supply for a co2 bottle. I use mine off of my beer tapper. I snagged one of these bottles from our backup tanks years ago and the supplier of beer just brought us another one.

See if you have any buddies in the beer or bar/restaraunt bizz!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
All you need is a CO2 tank for welding steel. Go to your local fire extinguisher shop they have tanks laying all over the place ask to buy one that is most recently certified and have them fill it without a siphon tube. As long as it is tested you can get it exchanged at any of those gas filling places for a full one so you don't have to wait.

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
Hi,
I would purchase a tank from your local welding shop. I did that and when the tank gets empty, they just exchange it for another owner tank.

Go with the arcon/c02 mix. The arc is smoother and less splater.

Bronco Rider

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Can you leave your tank with them and have it refilled with the mixture? I take very good care of my tools and like to keep things clean and pretty. I really would not like to get one of the old and ratty looking tanks from the welding shop to clean up every time I run out of gas.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
[quote author=bigpappa link=board=5;threadid=16118;start=0#msg122677 date=1049826006]
Can you leave your tank with them and have it refilled with the mixture? I take very good care of my tools and like to keep things clean and pretty. I really would not like to get one of the old and ratty looking tanks from the welding shop to clean up every time I run out of gas.
[/quote]

Any real shop should be able to refill right there. only takes a few mins