• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding question, stainless steel VS sheet metal, I need info please.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

So I don't know if anyone was following my question thread on needing an vapor seperator/expansion tank or charcoal canister but I'm going to install this system on my 66.

I've made a template tonight to fab the vapor seperator tank out of metal. [Somehow 30 year old plastic exposed to heat and gasoline daily doesn't seem trustworthy.]

I'm still new at welding and I have a 110v Harbor Freight welder.

So my question is, how should I weld stainless steel VS sheet metal?

From what I've seen online, some of the Porsche 944 used a stainless steel tank like our plastic one.

Please respond, I need some advice.
Chris

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Is your welder setup w/ a bottle & regulator? I've got a 220 machine & used to run a small bottle of 100% argon w/ stainless steel wire. It did ok but TIG really is the best way. Not sure whats on the shelf as far as flux cored wire for stainless if anything at all. It'd be awfully ugly to say the least.

fablife

yup. you'll need the argon for sure to run SS wire. Plus, mig welding thin material can be a PITA. JD

Nightstick

Bronco guy
In addition to what's already been said, go to youtube and search for how to weld sheetmetal type videos. You can't run a continuous bead the length of what you're welding if it's longer than about 1-2". If you try to overdo it you'll blow a hole in it in no time. One video on there shows a guy welding some automotive sheetmetal and a neat trick he used was to blow it with an air compressor right after the weld is done to cool it off.

I'd be weary of using a 110V welder on pretty much anything though. I've only tried to use one once, and it couldn't weld anything. If a friend has a 230V I'd use that instead. Some people are able to get good results with them, but most people don't.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Why are you weary of a 110V welder? I have one that will weld 1/4" with no problems, all the way down to sheet metal. It's all in the type of wire your using and the adjustment of the nut behind the trigger assembly;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I did my own SS exhaust. You need the SS wire--which can vary depending on the grade of SS that you plan to be welding on, you need gas...I was told 100% argon as well, but the rep insisted that I could use my standard 20/80 or 15/85 blend...which I did. You may also need a different liner in the gun to accomodate the wire--depending on what sized wire you are currently running. The key was to switch the polarity, which meant removing the gun entirely from the machine and switching the leads at the box, then setting it back up. I must admit that I had some crappy looking welds, they were popping alot...about the time I finished I realized I was using the "flux-core" tip on the gun rather than the MIG tip.%) Switched them and all the sudden it was night and day...too bad I was more or less "done"...it would have saved me alot of grinding and "clean-up". I did a few other small projects using the SS wire and it wasnt bad at all. Welds have held well for going on 3 yrs. Good luck.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I don't think the 110 HF welder has gas capabilities. You have to go up to the 220V to get the gas option. When using gas, you also have to install the right kind of wire, can't use the flux-cored stuff, and switch the polarity.

Use this coupon to get 20% off the welder, even when it's on sale (or any other thing in the store you need, but only one item per coupon). I print off 10 at a time & just keep them in the car.

http://dealspl.us/harborfreight-coupons/108017p (expires 12/31/2010)

You can buy an empty bottle from HF ($40) & have it filled (at a welding supply, $25-35), or you can buy a bottle from the welding supply pre-filled ($80-90). YOu will also need gauges (which you can again buy from them, but they're junk)

The cost to create whatever it is you're creating just keeps ratcheting up. I've just listed $300 in expenses, on the cheap-cheap side. Having a welder & knowing how to use it is priceless.

Gas capable welder
Bottle
Gas
Wire
Gauges
Materials you're welding...

Last edited:

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Why are you weary of a 110V welder? I have one that will weld 1/4" with no problems, all the way down to sheet metal. It's all in the type of wire your using and the adjustment of the nut behind the trigger assembly;D

He mentioned that he's new at welding. I'm sure someone experienced can get a good weld with a 110 but someone that doesn't know how to properly adjust the welder won't get the same results... Just go buy a miller ;D

MLK

Loc.
Papillion, Nebraska
If you do step up to a welder that requires bottled gas, ask your gas supplier if they will fill a bottle you bought from other than a welding gas supplier.

Around here, it is much easier to just purchase or rent the bottle from the gas supplier...some places will charge you an inspection fee, etc, others will refuse to fill it.

Voice of experience.

Mike

MattW

I agree that the HF 110 welder is sub par. My roommate has one and it's pretty crumby compared to my Hobart 140. You won't be able to weld SS with it due to no gas hook up. Anytime we're working on something the Hobart gets plugged in long before the HF does.

As others have said, step up to a quality welder once and be done. The Hobart 140 does everything I need with ease. I have no plans to weld on my frame or other 1/4" inch and up material anytime soon so I don't see the need for a 220 for me.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the great advice above aside...I cannot imagine how ugly a job you would get from trying to mig-weld stainless steel sheetmetal in to a canister like that unless you went to great lengths to have all welds tabbed or fully backed..no edge or butt welds.

This comment from someone who has an Esab 250 all set up specifically to mig weld stainless..tri-mix gas and all.;)

Stainless sheet metal is always best welded using a good tig machine...which will deal with butt and edge welds just fine.