• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Went for the first ride today BUT....

BRONCONY

Loc.
North Eastern, NY
went on the first real dive with the Bronco in 20 years or so, fun drive though the back roads, BUT when we got in to town she quit! :( the town had construction going on. the road turned in to a gravel mess with bumps hills and pot holes, and such. so i figured it would be fine i mean it is a bronco;D but no its started sputtering and when i pulled in to the gas station she quit. it wouldn't start for any thing for a wile but she got going again and ran nice after that for the long ride home. not sure what went wrong, maybe the float bounced around too much or something stock motorcraft on the 302)? not sure. but overall nice ride loved being in her again. any input to possibly what went wrong?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
what kind of shape are the points and condensor in? Good for you! nice to see some miles being put on again.....

OP
OP
BRONCONY

BRONCONY

Loc.
North Eastern, NY
replace the distributor cap and rotor a wile ago but not the pints and condensers, were are they i cant remember(same thing?)not clue less to working on this stuff but just cant remeber. it felt good to put on 44 miles today!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id say it was a carb issue could have been nothing more tha a piece of dirt in the needle seat that caused it to flood out. Might be a good idea to rebuild the carb and clean it out real good.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Get a Pertronix conversion kit for that points & condenser.
Just Google Pertronix. You can get it just about anywhere.
Sumitt, Jegs, Speedway, Ebay, etc....

OP
OP
BRONCONY

BRONCONY

Loc.
North Eastern, NY
ok will look in to that, i wonder if that was it or not. probably needs a carb cleaning to, but i do have a edelbrock four barrel lying around! ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'd say take a looks see at the fuel filter .. Replace it an cut the pull off apart an see what kind of trash it has in it..

OP
OP
BRONCONY

BRONCONY

Loc.
North Eastern, NY
i just replaced the tank (to plastic) and sending unit a couple of years ago, but it just got its first full tank about a week ago. there is one that screws in to the carb but i cant find a replacement and it doesn't look like it actually filters it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Carbs don't like to sit.....I think a carb rebuild is in your future.

You need air, fuel, and spark at the right time.

You know you have air, your getting ready to make perfect spark, we can assume you haven't jumped time,.....all that is left is proper fuel delivery.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Vapor lock or coil getting hot are my 2 guesses. Looking for fuel (or lack of) by checking the accelerator pump for a squirt is the fuel check. Pulling a plug (or coil) lead while cranking is a check for spark.

bad part is you need it to screw up again in order to track down which way the problem is. Could be something as simple as a fuel line routed too close to the exhaust.

OP
OP
BRONCONY

BRONCONY

Loc.
North Eastern, NY
i have duals on her but never rerouted the fuel line like 30 years ago. the only real close spot is in the back but it cant get that hot back there!?