• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Went to a SCORE event anyone have a prerunner bronco?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I went to a SCORE race this last weekend and it was a blast. I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a bronco that someone has made into a prerunner? Is it practical to do (besides the cost)? My buddy owns a prerunner shop here locally and loves to bash the 4x4 crowd and talk up his prerunners. Would love to show him a pick of a badass prerunner bronco to shut him up and then have him help me build one!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I've seen a couple that were close. EBs don't make great pre-runners cause of the short wheel base, but it can be done. Move the rear axle back, use longer wider rear springs, and some good shocks, push the front end forward with extended radius arms, and put in some coil overs and away you go.
Tom

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
Here are a few pics i had saved to my computer. Not mine and It was stolen in San Felipe a few years ago.

Attachments

• prerunner12.jpg
    prerunner12.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 74
  • prerunner11.jpg
    prerunner11.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 38
  • prerunner9.jpg
    prerunner9.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 42
  • prerunner8.jpg
    prerunner8.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 50

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Sure it can be done, how deep are your pockets, and how broad is your imagination? ;D

The FIRST thing I'd do, is add 30" of wheelbase, followed closely by ditching the leaf springs in favor of a trailing arm/coilover setup.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
This is funny. You want to show your friend that a Bronco can be a pre-runner... The term "pre-runner" has been hijacked by asshats in rangers with no imagination. What is a pre-runner? Nothing more than what you PRE-RUN the course in, in comfort, to preserve the race vehicle for race day. If he gives you crap about the bronco not being a pre-runner, ask him to follow you on a trail of your choice in his truck. Two different animals.

As stated, the wheel base will limit your highspeed off-road stability. BUT... I have seen a few very well designed and executed broncos do extremely well in these conditions. Stretching the wheel base will cost money and I think it could be better spent on a properly set up suspension system. I do not think four link set ups will be cost effective. But if you save up to dump about $2000 in each corner up front and $1000 per rear corner (front coil-overs with bypass, rear leafs with bypass) you will have the capability to keep up with him, if not pass him.

It's not all the cool stuff you use, it's how you use the cool stuff.