• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Went to Sears today,,,Tool Questions

OP
OP
T

trekgurl

ok,, thanks for the response,,

I think I'll get the makita,, and see if I can find the milwaukee discs and cut off wheels.( making sure it has a 5/8 arbor) I have a larger makita and it seems you can't kill it,, or least thats what my daddy says.

I like the milwaukee grinder but its over $100 and the makita is $59 as I may not use it that much ,, but it will be handy when you do.

I think I'll stay away from air tools,, after I read some more yesterday it would seem you need to go to gasoline power/ large tank to be able to run all the tools sufficiently?

So far I've been getting all my bolts out,, PB blaster , grunt, grunt method,,. but then have mostly been small bolts. I've only wrung one off so far.

I may be back to ask about the impact wrench for larger stuff.

I keep looking for a spot weld bit but can't find one? I have plenty of drills and bits though. ( but not to that point yet.)

Thanks

ransil

Bronco Guru
i have kill off the $100 plus Milwaukee too.
problem is I keep the broken high dollar ones can't get my self to trash themI have 2 Matabos and 1 Milwaukee in my collection.

I have no problems tossing the HF grinders.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
don't knock air tools quite yet- you'll need them. yes, you will need a bigger compressor, but you can do that later. i've had to use 110v compressors before (around 6cfm) and can say that they work, but not continuously. one tool that uses a lot of air but is a must is a whiz wheel (cut off tool). they work a lot better than a 4.5" grinder when trying to cut a straight line. you gotta have patience to use it when you have a small compressor though. don't get a d/a sander that runs off air. get a cheap electric one instead. the air sanders use a whole lot of air. the makita is a good product. I use it or the dewalt regularly.

as far as air guns go, the cheap ones you see for $25 will work, but they won't remove anything that requires more than about 100ft/lbs to remove- even if they say they are rated for 250 ft/lbs. imho, buy one around the $100 range and you'll have something that works well and will last. i'd go for the cp-734 from chicago pneumatic. i've got one that is about 30 yrs old and still works great- though it has been rebuilt a few times.

shawn, i noticed your link isn't working. i think you're looking at a spot weld bit, no?

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I have been using Harbor freight 4" grinders, get the 4.5" ones when on sale for $15-18 buy 3 of them one for cut off wheel, one for grinder wheel and one flap disk. If you have to drive far or get them shipped order a a spare. The have held up well for my projects, I also just burned up a $150 Matabo it was nice but I can buy 10 cheepies for that price.

I bought three of the 4.5 HB's on sale. Thirty minutes after using, all three went in the trash can. The first one burned up in under four minutes.

My 4.5 Makita was purchased new in 1989 and been run into the ground. Its on the second power cord and in the near future will need spindle bearings replaced, so will be good for another few years of service.

sevenTseven

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I think I'll get the makita,, and see if I can find the milwaukee discs and cut off wheels.( making sure it has a 5/8 arbor) I have a larger makita and it seems you can't kill it,, or least thats what my daddy says.

I like the milwaukee grinder but its over $100 and the makita is $59

Right now Home Depot is offering a Makita 5/8" hammer drill and Makita angle grinder combo for $99.

OR

You can get a 2 pack of Ryobi angle grinders for $39.97.

Valid thru 10-3-07

I saw it in the weekly newspaper flyer.

turbotim2

I have a Craftsman 4" grinder and have used and abused it alot. It has worked great. A friend of mine bought a HF grinder and it fell apart the first time he used it. He didn't even get it to the metal! Thats just one experience with the HF grinder. On the other hand, I have a lot of other HF stuff that has worked pretty well.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have had good luck with my Dewalt grinders and when I was at Home Depot the other day I noticed they have a buy one get one free deal on Dewalt 7 amp grinders for $89. I couldn't pass it up.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
A lot of the better black and decker is made by dewalt,we had a bunch of both at work and the replacement parts were all the same(I did all the tool repairs)

It's actually the other way around. Dewalt is a Black and Decker subsidiary. Dewalt is nothing more than a marketing ploy. So many Dewalt snobs would have their feelings hurt if they knew their beloved yellow tools were made by B&D.

That being said, most of the Dewalt stuff is pretty good and most of the B&D stuff is crap.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
I bought craftsman etc... And I will never do that again.Too much made in china.No I dont want to get roasted here but I have to stop somewere.I have and always will buy Milwaukee....Made in USA and I have had nothing but good luck w/ them.

69 Fl. Bronc

I have a bunch of milwaukee tools and really like them. I st bough a 41/2 grinder .cut stone with it every day. But its made in mexico. Look at labels on the new stuff.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
It's actually the other way around. Dewalt is a Black and Decker subsidiary. Dewalt is nothing more than a marketing ploy. So many Dewalt snobs would have their feelings hurt if they knew their beloved yellow tools were made by B&D.

That being said, most of the Dewalt stuff is pretty good and most of the B&D stuff is crap.

Just like car manufactures! Loved my Acura but hate Honda's%) ;D

Shawn

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I'm not a Dewalt snob, but do own several of there tools as well as many other brands. As for the Black & Decker vs Dewalt they are the same company but built differently and priced differently to meet different markets. My tools are used and sometimes abused most every day by myself and my employees. Tools built for the homeowner market like Black & Decker and most of the HF stuff just don't hold up to day to day use. Sure they cost more but they also can be rebuilt or repaired when something goes wrong. IF you don't plan to use a tool much you can save a lot of money buying some of the lower priced tools.
I typically don't buy one brand of tools but by the best for that specific tool. If your not familiar with a specific tool you can find excellent reviews on Amazon.com.
Milwaukee is a great company with great tools unfortunality they are getting harder to find in the market place, which is a shame.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
scsm76 is correct, B&D used to make contractor grade tools and then switched rebadged that line to Dewalt. I have one of the old B&D industrial grade 4.5 angle grinders and have abused the hell out of it and the only think wrong with it is the cord is coming apart. I just tape the hell out of the cord and keep grinding. I bought a 9 peice set of Dewalt cordless tools on sale last year and the trigger went out on the 1/2 hammer drill already but to Dewalts credit, the repaired it with not problem while I waited and they gave me a new battery (89$) for free, actually the whole repair and battery were free. So I am still pretty happy with them.

Ben

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
I'm not sure what my 4.5" grinder is - got it from my dad maybe 20yrs ago - it's gray I know that but that might be from all the metal dust. :) I can't kill it. Works like a charm every time and I've gone through lots of wheels/discs.

I like air tools but you need a compressor that can keep up without burning up.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As for the Black & Decker vs Dewalt they are the same company but built differently and priced differently to meet different markets.

Correct.

My son-in-law works for Flannigan Electric and rebuilds these things. He claims that other than the outside casings and quality of bearings they are identical. All the electrical components are the same.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I have one of the old B&D industrial grade 4.5 angle grinders and have abused the hell out of it and the only think wrong with it is the cord is coming apart. I just tape the hell out of the cord and keep grinding. Ben

I found mine in the middle of the street about seven years ago. I have beat on that thing like a step child and the only thing I've done is replaced the cord. I think it will run for ever!

Shawn

bronco-uno

Loc.
wisconsin
I bought craftsman etc... And I will never do that again.Too much made in china.No I dont want to get roasted here but I have to stop somewere.I have and always will buy Milwaukee....Made in USA and I have had nothing but good luck w/ them.

Not to roast you but, Most people don't know that milwaukee is owned by a company in china called TTI and its stock is traded on china's stock market. TTi makes alot of tools in china that are sold under the sears/ craftsman name as well as almost all of home depot's ridgid and ryobi name tools.