• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

West Coast Bronco New rear chassis harness wiring?

igottastanger

Any one have a better schematic for the WCB new rear chassis harness the one that comes with it is a little generic and as my new bronco doesnt have the rear harness at all just the 4 prong connector in the corner of the firewall on the drivers side. I need a little help on this.

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

Ive got all of that, its a great help but i need to know what is what at the 4prong connector at the firewall.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does the new harness come with a matching plug? Or is this a "fit to size" and "insert wire here" kind of install?
Reason I ask is that if it's got a matching plug, it'll only go on one way. So you can't get the wiring wrong.

Can you see the wire colors at the original plug(s) on your truck still? The other wiring diagrams should at least tell you the wire colors at the chassis side of the plug.

Should be:

1. Brown - Running lights (all of them)
2. Yellow - Left Stop/Turn
3. Green - Right Stop/Turn
4. Black w/red - Backup Lamp

Does the new harness come with fuel tank wires too? Those are Orange at the plug.

I can't remember the exact orientation (what year is your EB by the way?), but there is a square-shaped 4-position plug, and then a flat-shaped 4-wire plug.
The square one has the main lights and the fuel, if I remember. And the flat one has the main lights and the backup lights, but not the fuel sending wires.
I really only remember seeing the square one on my '71, so maybe the flat one is farther down underneath. Guess I'll have to go out and actually look at a Bronco for that one! ;D

What else specifically are you looking for?

Paul

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

It doesnt come with the pig tail i have to use male and female connectors on the wires. It does have the fuel tank wiring in the harness but only for the rear main tank. I believe the aux tank is only one wire and its the yellow on by the firewall next to the 4 prong connector i need to tap into. My harness is 75 and the flat 4 is further down the chassis. Im looking for what i need to connect the new wiring harness, which has no 4 prong connector on it just male and female ends, to what the 4 prong connector at the firewall is because the colors are no the same at the 4 prong connector as compaired to the new harness. The new harness has just the brown, yellow, green and black wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, gotcha. Too bad too, since that's kind of a standard trailer-plug looking thing. I would think that would be available when making harnesses. But I don't know that for a fact. Probably can get the plugs, but they might not match the same orientation.

Sorry I was not able to get out there and check mine in the daylight today. If nobody else chimes in before then, I'll check tomorrow.
But the key would be being able to see the wire colors on the existing plug. If you need to pull back some of the tape to see it, it would be worth it, and probably give you everything you need.

That, or just cut your old one off and convert to a new Weatherpack connector instead.
I prefer that type of modern connector to the old ones anyway. The old ones gave good service. I just like the new stuff better.
More work up front, but worth it to me.

Paul

OP
OP
I

igottastanger

id use a weatherpack connector but the problem is i still wouldnt know what wires are what when i cut the connector off. The connector isnt the problem i can adapt to that its the wires not matching in color so i cant just put red to red if you know what i mean. I need to know what each wire is at that connector on my old harness so i can connect my new harness to the proper wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the impression I was getting. But what is the actual problem with getting the colors on your existing wires? Are they all completely faded or something?
Between the books/diagrams and the list in post #4, you've got all the colors that should be present.

If the loom tape runs right up to the plug, simply unwrap it. If you're trying to avoid that, I guess I can understand the reluctance in undoing something that's lasted this long. But if you don't get an answer from someone here, that's what you're going to have to do.

If that's not the issue in determining your wire colors, then what is?

Paul