• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH extreme rear shock mount questions

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Is anyone running these with a single Reservoir shock? My thoughts is to use the highest hole with the bottom of the shock mounted in front of the axle. Looking at it to me seems it would put it close to the same arc as the rear axle as the springs cycle. Am I missing something that would make this not work?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In other words, just using it as a long-travel single shock application?
Don't see why it wouldn't work, unless the shock you choose has some clearance issues with a large body, or can't be mounted with the shaft down.

As always, trial fitting is your friend, but in this case, that's an expensive experiment, so I can see why you're asking around first.
Don't know for sure without looking at it, but if you don't get an answer here I can check when I get back to the new shop on Friday and (if I have the chance) can check out an installed set to see what I think.

You could call in with your question of course, but I doubt you'll get a definitive answer this week with all that's going on.
If you do call in just to see though, check with Johnny as he's dealt with them the longest. Might know off the top of his head.

Good luck. Be interested to see what others have to say. I bet there's someone here running that orientation.

Paul

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I ran it this way with a single shock on my old truck. Used the highest hole in the mount, and pretty sure it was the front mount on the axle. Worked great with lots of articulation, no rubbing on the adjustable Rancho's; however I had full width F150 axles.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Thats reassuring. I'm looking at a 2" body shock so I don't see that being an issue. Finding the best spot for the resovoir might take some thought. But I believe MP has answered my question. I'll try and remember to post some pics up when it's done.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
And thanks for the DirtDonk. If you get a chance to look at one that would be awesome!! Might have a new mounting option for the hoops ;)

68ford

Bronco Guru
Ran mine yrs ago just like your describing. Ran a sway away racerunner 2.5x12in travel. Had 2 issues. Shock had to be spaced out so the body didn't hit the mount putting leverage on the bolts. Bent bolts regularly. Ran f911 bolts which never bent, but the strength of the shock broke the mount along the circular weld where the hoop bends and goes through the bracket with a hole in it. It sheered right off. I was using mine pretty hard though.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Yes, its not a height issue. It was the large diameter of the shock hitting the tube of the mount. Needed to be spaced out award. I just don't think those mounts are meant for much abuse. Slow articulating movement is fine, but high speed suspension cycling with strong shocks was too much.