• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what 5 speed is in '91 F-350??

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
It was a zf-5. I took the trans and transfercase out today. I got the trans someone else bought the tranfercase. The engine is still there if anyone needs that.

Glad i could help out.

Howd you find it?

jdeit

Loc.
Atlanta
craigslist. I spotted it about 3-4 weeks ago when he was just trying to sell the Dana 60 and 10.25 rears. After about 3 or four emails asking about what engine and trans was in it he replied saying it was a 351. I told him I wanted it but I was leaving for the beach for a week and I wouldn't be able to get out there for while. He sold the axles and kept relisting the add for parts off of the truck. I had his number and email and just kept contact with him. He said he had alot of people asking about the trans but he didn't know what it was and he didn't want to take it out. After waiting throught two storms I drove up and confirmed it was a ZF. Someone else showed up and wanted the transfercase but couldn't take it out. He told me he would take $25 off of the $100 that he wanted for the trans if took it all out. I can say it wasn't the best conditions for working in but it was well worth the effort. The 4 door truck had no axles in was laying on its frame, he had a bobcat to pick it up and set on jackstands. There were a few times I envisioned the truck falling and smashing me in two pieces.

I spotted this thread on Saturday. I had been worried that he was going to sell it out from under me, but he kept his word and held it for me. Definitly a good guy to deal with.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
craigslist. I spotted it about 3-4 weeks ago when he was just trying to sell the Dana 60 and 10.25 rears. After about 3 or four emails asking about what engine and trans was in it he replied saying it was a 351. I told him I wanted it but I was leaving for the beach for a week and I wouldn't be able to get out there for while. He sold the axles and kept relisting the add for parts off of the truck. I had his number and email and just kept contact with him. He said he had alot of people asking about the trans but he didn't know what it was and he didn't want to take it out. After waiting throught two storms I drove up and confirmed it was a ZF. Someone else showed up and wanted the transfercase but couldn't take it out. He told me he would take $25 off of the $100 that he wanted for the trans if took it all out. I can say it wasn't the best conditions for working in but it was well worth the effort. The 4 door truck had no axles in was laying on its frame, he had a bobcat to pick it up and set on jackstands. There were a few times I envisioned the truck falling and smashing me in two pieces.

I spotted this thread on Saturday. I had been worried that he was going to sell it out from under me, but he kept his word and held it for me. Definitly a good guy to deal with.

I didnt need the trans, i have a NV3550 in my EB, thought about picking up the trans to resell and make a little $$.
could you tell what condition the engine was in?

My 5.0 has a burned exhaust valve and I thought about getting the 351 to replace it with.

jdeit

Loc.
Atlanta
I really didn't pay to much attention to it, honestly. I was fighting a severe hangover and was trying to work as fast as I could to avoid the storms that were coming. He said he got it to fire up with starting fluid since the fuel pump was missing from the truck. The wierd thing about the truck is it wasn't originally a 5spd, it was an automatic. I noticed the bracket and linkage for the column shifter when I was under the truck. Then confirmed the speedo has the auto trans indicater. The trans and transfercase were painted but coated with grease and dirt. So who knows if it was the original engine or not. It was missing the oil cap on the valve cover, don't know for how long. Depends on what you want to do, if you plan to just bolt it in I would probably pass. I have a 92 351w on an engine stand in my garage if you are interested. I had planned to replace some gaskets on it and put it in my scout but used an earlier 351w that I had instead.