• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What a 92 5.0 HO with 78,000 miles worth?

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
I am looking for a fuel injected motor , and have found a few some just motor, anothers complete with; serp set up, fuel rails, computer just no harness .... just trying to gauge a value here..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
for reference I bought an '88 5.0 with a rough harness, no front accessories or brackets that were usable from someone who had to get rid of it for $200. It was stated as having 60k on it but when I saw it, it was on the ground out of the vehicle. I treated it as a core and found the engine to be in excellent condition inside.

So, on the ground not running $200
In car running $500~$700
Whole car $750~$1000

OP
OP
4xfloored

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
the guy says he'll take $500 for motor, computer A9L,serp acc, but no harness.... sayds it has aprox 78k out of a wrecked mustang gt 92

RolledItAgain

$500 sounds fair. The wiring may cost you a few buck however.

I am in the middle of a 5.0l buildup in my 67. I found it cheaper to buy the whole car and part out the rest. You will nee time and space for this.

Bator

Loc.
Las Vegas
$500 sounds a little high too me, but then I got a whole car, 91 stang with 5.0 and AOD for $500.00.

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
I have a harness if you're interested. I bought one of Ryan's units, so I don't need the old one anymore.

Not that it matters, but I agree with Broncobowsher's guestimates, save add a hundred to his figures. I've seen these engines go for much more, based on those specs. I have the exact same engine, fwiw. There are "some" mods you'll have to consider before doing this, but I'm sure you already know that if you're interested in going this route.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
4xfloored said:
the guy says he'll take $500 for motor, computer A9L,serp acc, but no harness.... sayds it has aprox 78k out of a wrecked mustang gt 92
I paid 400 for mine with no intake or accessories. I think $500 is a good deal.
Tom

77B

Loc.
Bixby,Ok.
Sounds like a fair price. I bought a 91 5.0 HO and transmission out of a Cougar with with every thing but the computer for $350.00. Got the computer for another $100.00. The guy said the car had 70,000 miles on it when it was pulled. I've had the machine work done on the block and was able to go back with standard rings and pistons. Lots of use left in this block.

nashville77

:mad: I'm really feeling bad about my purchase now. i bought an 89 HO GT w/80k w/Smog Pump and BBK Headers for $700. He through in the starter (which i don't think i can use my w/C4) and I got the A9L for $100. Then I had to have it shipped, ouch. i did spend about 4 hours total over 2 weeks talking to salvage yards (always an adventure) all over tenn. with no luck and not much hope. lessons learned, like bridges burned i guess.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
for all that $500 is a great deal
most I have seen for sale don't have any accesories for that price

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
So, I have a big question.. What are the advantages of going with a 5.0? I found a great deal for one out of a thunderbird.. (400 for the whole car - just wrecked in the front end.. no damage to the engine radiator) I need to know how big of a job it is and all that is involved... I have a worn out 302. Any info you could give would be great because at this point I am almost ready to buy it and figure it out later

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Awnrie69 said:
So, I have a big question.. What are the advantages of going with a 5.0? I found a great deal for one out of a thunderbird.. (400 for the whole car - just wrecked in the front end.. no damage to the engine radiator) I need to know how big of a job it is and all that is involved... I have a worn out 302. Any info you could give would be great because at this point I am almost ready to buy it and figure it out later

The 5.0 HO engine was rated at around 200 horsepower net. The roller cam setup gives lots of HP while still being very streetable. A new 75 Bronco engine was rated at about 150 gross HP, which means about 100 net. The later model engines are also much better made. With proper care they can go well past 100K miles. With the older engines 100K meant you were done.
The serpentine setup allows you to run really large alternators without whining and squealing belts. If you go with the EFI, you gain smooth consistent power at all angles and speeds, and no adjustments. The cooling system is also much better designed, so the 5.0s tend to run cool.
Tom

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
Awnrie69 said:

Well, some guys like having the serpentine belts over the v-belts you have now. Also, and most obvious, fuel injection is kind of nice to have. I "think" the later model 302's have more horse power... I could be wrong on that. I "know" they are easier to keep cool although I don't understand the dynamics behind that... nor do I really care.

Swapping the engine in is the easy part. Here's the tech write-up I'm using:

http://www.broncoholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1254

Good luck in whatever you do!

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
Socal Tom said:
The 5.0 HO engine was rated at around 200 horsepower net. The roller cam setup gives lots of HP while still being very streetable. A new 75 Bronco engine was rated at about 150 gross HP, which means about 100 net. The later model engines are also much better made. With proper care they can go well past 100K miles. With the older engines 100K meant you were done.
The serpentine setup allows you to run really large alternators without whining and squealing belts. If you go with the EFI, you gain smooth consistent power at all angles and speeds, and no adjustments. The cooling system is also much better designed, so the 5.0s tend to run cool.
Tom

Crap, man! You beat me to the punch. I did slip you're write-up in my reply though. ;)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Awnrie69 said:
is the EFI something i would have to do seperate, what does it do? How much do they run?
If you switch to EFI then there is a lot of wiring involved, an electric fuel pump needs to be installed, and O2 sensors need to be put in the exhaust. This is all in addition to the engine swap itself. It can be done at the same time though. What year is the T-Bird? If it already has EFI and is in good shape then it may be worth considering. The advantage to the EFI is that you can avoid the stumbling you were having on the trails at SOB last year. Gas Mileage should improve slightly as well. Cost to install varies depending upon what all you decide to purchase. If the car already has EFI (Once we know the year we can tell you what it should have) then the harness can be reworked. Additional cost would be the flywheel balancing (The 5.0 has a different imbalance so that cost would already be there), a fuel pump, and having the O2 sensors installed. There would be some wiring supplies necessary as well. Beyond that most of it will just be figuring out and modifying stuff. Figure on $150 more than it would cost to swap your stuff onto that engine. (This would be going the cheapest route and reusing everything possible plus getting a fuel pump from u-pull-it off a late model F250)

Thread Hijack:
How are things going for you? Been a long time since you've been around here so I wasn't sure if you still had your EB anymore. Will you be making it to SOB 9 this year? My youngest daughter specifically asked since she enjoyed spending time with your little one last year.

Rick Halle (SaddleUp)

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Leo73EB said:
I have a harness if you're interested. I bought one of Ryan's units, so I don't need the old one anymore.

Not that it matters, but I agree with Broncobowsher's guestimates, save add a hundred to his figures. I've seen these engines go for much more, based on those specs. I have the exact same engine, fwiw. There are "some" mods you'll have to consider before doing this, but I'm sure you already know that if you're interested in going this route.

I got a 93 stang motor in mine, but didn't use the EFI setup because the motor didn't come with a harness. I'd be interested in your harness. E-mail me at: bronchole@hotmail.com

Dan

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
SaddleUp said:
Thread Hijack:
How are things going for you? Been a long time since you've been around here so I wasn't sure if you still had your EB anymore. Will you be making it to SOB 9 this year? My youngest daughter specifically asked since she enjoyed spending time with your little one last year.

Rick Halle (SaddleUp)

It has been a long time.. My computer died on me so I just cancelled the internet. Eventually replaced the computer but did not get signed back up for service until work gave me a laptop. At this point it is a necessity that I have it.. Prevents me from putting in a lot of extra time at work .. The benefit of that it, I can now be back here which I have missed :)
I am planning on making it this year.. I think I trashed my rear end last year at SOB... thought it was the clutch and it turned out to be more ..and just got that fixed.. I ended up putting a locker in it at the same time. I took it out to sand lake a couple of weeks ago and broke my spider gears. I have got some to put into it. Hoping to put it in this weekend.
With all going well, I should be out there. I think even if (for what ever reason) she is not runing.. I will still go... it will be her punishment for not running right. LOL
I bought a back end of a bronco to turn into a trailer and was hopibg to have that done so I could take it.. but no luck on that,,
Georgia (my daughter) would be there as well.. I am sure she would love to get together again to play
The engine is out of a 90 something