• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What AC should I buy?

jatepper

1976 Bronco fully restored. Looking to buy AC. Is this a difficult install? Recommendations? Iwant this to look as original as possible. Vintage Air has a kit. Anyone install one? Tips?

thanks

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Everyone seems to like the BC Broncos vintage air kit. It uses the smaller gen 2 evaporator instead of the humongous gen 4 which complicates an already over crowded dash and footwell. I'd check that one out. It's the one I plan to use.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you want original you are going to need a knee knocker unit.
TBP and BC sell one. It is probably not going to work quite as efficiently as a modern one but will look very stock.

ksbronco75

Contributor
just installed the gen 2 bc broncos kit from vintage air.....bc of instructions id rate it at about a 7 on scale of annoyingness. i had my dash off and everything out (seats, console, carpet). You have to make minimum fabrications. drilled a few holes, and had to alter their mount b/c it didnt fit over my power steering pump. but i have yet to turn the bronco on, currently hooking up the centech wiring harness. i had to make a few calls to the bc bronco help line. They know what to tell you right away if you have questions. But i have yet to run it, so can't comment on the product results.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My BC unit would cool much better if I had any insulation.
But I have absolutely none and it still does ok.

zbronco

Loc.
Houston
I have installed the classicauto air in my 1st bronco and the vintage air gen 4 system in my 2nd bronco. Both were purchased as complete AC kits.

The classic auto people were much better to deal with and their kit was complete.

On the second bronco I went with the vintage air system mainly due to the under dash plenum, I like the looks better. I did a write up on the install and posted on CB, the kit was not complete, poor instructions, poor support and created several challenges, like stereo fit, cooling fan issues, radiator hose issues. I encourage you to find my review.

In both cases price was a decision point. I pick up the vintage air system for several hundred dollars cheaper the BC bronco and in my case did not have to pay taxes so it was over 400 savings. The ClassicAir system was the lower cost option.

there are pros can cons to both system, they cool about the same.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Before you spend the money and possibly fight the installation ask yourself if you really need it. I was going to AC mine and then as I built it I ended up wanting it less and less. in fact once I built my 393 and altered the core support to get enough room for the radiator, transmission cooler, and PS cooler I don't have room for the condenser.

But ultimately I went with a soft top and like driving around with it off in hot weather.

My experience with these AC units is that without a hard top and a lot of insulation the only place you are comfortable is with the air blowing on you. no one in the back seat will be.

It would have been a lot of work to get a condenser installed and the compressor as well due to the location of the PS pump. Under dash is packed full as well.

I don't miss it and looking back I realize that's a lot of money and time for what isn't a daily driver.

If you arent going to drive it daily and you end up with the top off you might not ever care.