• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what axles are you running in your d44?

what axles are you running

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronchole said:
Mine are actually Dutchman, but since you didn't give that option and since Dutchman supplies the axles to Warn I checked off Warn.
Interesting, I didn't know that. It doesn't surprise me though since Dutchman is on one side of town and Warn is on the other.

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
dustybronco said:
yukon also warranties their axles for life. if you run an upgraded they will warranty the ears also. not sure if warn will warranty the ears breaking or not. this is the problem I have heard about.
yukons warranty is for five years. I bought a spare set of warns yesterday and were looking into the yukons. Warn will warranty the ears if there is no ujoint failure. I did go with the yukon super ujoints for my spare set.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bmc69 said:
Interesting parallels. I run the Yukons with Yukon joints and nothing has broken yet. I run the Warn Premium hubs too and have not broken one of those but have seen too many break on rigs I was ridng with. So I carry FT slugs as 'spares'. One thing though..I 'heard' that the MileMArker stainles hubs were the best of all and just picked up a set..was this contrary to other's experience.

Sorry to continue the digression .....the poll will still be valid. ;D
I had the Milemarker Supreme hubs. From what I understand they are not the same as the stainless. The set I had definately was not stainless since one sheared the lugs off the gear and the gear literally exploded on the other (Making it a pain to get out). This all occurred before I even had them on for a week. (I installed them Wednesday, locked them in Friday night and busted the first one within an hour, the second one broke on Sunday when I was backing up on wet grass on the side of a hill) Needless to say my opinion of MileMarker hubs is not high after this since I have never had a Warn hub bust on me other than needing the spring swapped. I am not saying however that the stainless hubs are not good though since I have no experience with them. If the quality is in them that the MM Supreme hubs "appeared" to have (In comparison they looked stronger than the Warns) then they are probably a better hub. It just got me PO'ed when I bought a brand new hub advertised as being one of the best pieces available and then had to replace my Detroit Locker because of it. I got a full refund on the hubs which I used to buy a new set of the Warns but it still cost me a large chunk in the process.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Saddleup. I'm going to take them apart and see what my engineering eye thinks about the situation before I put my faith in them. Good info.

Back to your regurlarly scheduled thread. :cool:

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I'm running Yukon without any issues. I may swap some shinier axles in...these seem to be getting a tad dirty.

psbronco

Loc.
Ft. Collins CO
Another vote for warns and longfield joints, I have a friend that has put his warns through so serious abuse and they have held up well

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mr Joe said:
I'm running Yukon without any issues. I may swap some shinier axles in...these seem to be getting a tad dirty.

How dat? You have to run them to get them dirty..no? ;D

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
I know your mosser's took a crap. I was expecting mine to also. I run 37 with 513 gears and ctm's haven't had a prob. I bet I should lube the ctm's after 4 years ?:?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
claytargethntr said:
ok I am feeling dumb, what are the slugs you are talking about

claytargethntr
Slugs are the common term for the solid pieces used in full time axles that are always locked in. They were fairly common in the late 70's and early 80's. Rather than engineer a different hub setup for these all they did was make a solid piece that bolts in place of a normal hub lockout and the rest is all the same. Being a solid piece this makes them really strong which makes them a good option as spares or for a dedicated off road rig (They can still be pulled out if an axle breaks). A few times I've been tempted to just stick a set in and leave them. If I didn't drive mine on the street from time to time then I would.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Slugs by some, more commonly called Drive Flanges by guys I wheel with (this is also what Warn calls them in their Full Floater kits like I have on my 9").

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
With slugs, how do you keep water out of the hub? Do you drill and tap the slug so the cap can be put back on the hub? When I use a slug I have to use silicone around the inside hub to keep it in place and so water doesn't get inside. The outer ring will not hold it in either so I cross my fingers that it doesn't fall out in a mud pit. Let me know.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
With slugs, how do you keep water out of the hub? Do you drill and tap the slug so the cap can be put back on the hub? When I use a slug I have to use silicone around the inside hub to keep it in place and so water doesn't get inside. The outer ring will not hold it in either so I cross my fingers that it doesn't fall out in a mud pit. Let me know.
They use a metal dust cap that just taps onto the end of the hub and needs to be pried back off.

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
I have got rear Yukon's from Mike at CORE. I busted my front stock axles within the first hour of just messing around my land. I will be running Yukon's and the Super U-Joints, and that is the same setup as Mike. He actually busted his CTM's and now has moved to all Yukon stuff. So far from what he has told me just keep them greased and you WON'T break them. Plus for the price he is going to give me on these axles and u-joints is a hard one to walk away from.

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
honkey84 said:
I have got rear Yukon's from Mike at CORE. I busted my front stock axles within the first hour of just messing around my land. I will be running Yukon's and the Super U-Joints, and that is the same setup as Mike. He actually busted his CTM's and now has moved to all Yukon stuff. So far from what he has told me just keep them greased and you WON'T break them. Plus for the price he is going to give me on these axles and u-joints is a hard one to walk away from.
i agree with the grease! I also think once you get into the higher end axles the key is the ujoint and ujoint maint. The supper joints dont take grease though they take a anti seezing compound. I run the warns just for the warranty. I almost went with the yukons but the warranty was only 5 years wich is still awesome i dont see how anyone can warranty an axle for us guys but im glad they do.