• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What bearings do I need?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Several years ago I installed the 31 spline Yukon axles in my 76.... I have never replaced the bearings but I thought I would buy a spare set just in case but I cant remember what size bearing it takes.

Anyone have this combo?

Greg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just ask for the A-20 bearing set, its the tapered set. However the only thing I don't like about this setup is if the seal goes bad you have to replace the bearing also because these use the axle dope for lube unlike the original which is sealed and is placed on the axle before the seal. I cant remember the part # for the sealed set for a 31 spline axles, I'll try to find and post.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Ya... that rings a bell... I had to use some special selant on the bearing race to keep the dope from leaking out... a real PITA... Hylomar I believe it was called.

Thanks,

BTW.. you taking your rig down to Canton in a couple of weeks? I am driving down with a friend... Not taking the interstate... probably going to go down 411 and through Waleska over to Canton. If you want to convoy that would be cool.... and anyone else from up this way.

Greg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ya... that rings a bell... I had to use some special selant on the bearing race to keep the dope from leaking out... a real PITA... Hylomar I believe it was called.

Thanks,

BTW.. you taking your rig down to Canton in a couple of weeks? I am driving down with a friend... Not taking the interstate... probably going to go down 411 and through Waleska over to Canton. If you want to convoy that would be cool.... and anyone else from up this way.

Greg

Maybe, I had thought about it but not sure what I'm gonna do

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that the SET20 tapered roller bearings (1.563" ID) and the sealed, lubed-for-life ball bearings (1.531" ID) are not interchangeable, so make sure you get whatever matches your axles. If you have SET20's, great, get those along with the semi-integral replacement oil seals. Otherwise, if you have the ball bearings, you would be looking at an SKF #88128 or Timken #514003 along with the stand alone inner oil seal. Some of the aftermarket sealed ball bearings (Moser, Strange, etc) options have an o-ring in the outer race and claim to not need an inner seal, however my experience with these types has been shaky at best.