• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What carb do you recommend??

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've never had any kind of luck with Holley, some folks swear by them, I kind of see them as nice paperweights.

hey Gummi Bear, send me all of your paperweights!

I love Holleys. when I was young and dumb(er) I had problems getting them tuned right. but after reading a couple of books, and doin a bunch of fiddling, I can tune them pretty easy.
but I love to tinker, so even if it runs "right" out of the box, I'll try and squeeze more out of it.
I used to have a Carter AFB that would absolutely scream (on my dodge 360), but on inclines it may have well been a fuel soaked block of wood bolted to the intake.
so for what it's worth...I say go find a used mdl 1850, 600cfm vac secondary Holley, rebuild it and follow Broncnaz' tech article. cheap and effective

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
hey Gummi Bear, send me all of your paperweights!

I love Holleys. when I was young and dumb(er) I had problems getting them tuned right. but after reading a couple of books, and doin a bunch of fiddling, I can tune them pretty easy.
but I love to tinker, so even if it runs "right" out of the box, I'll try and squeeze more out of it.
I used to have a Carter AFB that would absolutely scream (on my dodge 360), but on inclines it may have well been a fuel soaked block of wood bolted to the intake.
so for what it's worth...I say go find a used mdl 1850, 600cfm vac secondary Holley, rebuild it and follow Broncnaz' tech article. cheap and effective

I am lookin to get rid of my old 600 cfm electric choke paperweight

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
nice tip on the phenolic thanks

On my DD 302 I went with an Edelbrock performer 500 carb and manifold. Instead of the spacer, I doubled up on the gaskets which gave me about 1/4" spacer effect. No complaints, set up was easy out of the box, runs great and does not percolate.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
My vote is for the Holly 670 T/A for the 351 Windsor. It should run good on the street and if you ever do some hill climbing, you will be all set for the off camber situations. Try E-bay if you are on a budget. You can save about $100.00 off of retail if you are patient.

Chris B.

bremsa

edelbrock AVS 650 with electric choke no question, I bought a carb like this and put it on a 340 Mopar, with cam.pistons,headj0bs and more in toyota hilux here in iceland and Id doesent matter how the car tilts.. it always runs.... I got mine on www.summitracing.com great for on road and offroad use... Fair Mpg with a carb this size

JHBronco

Loc.
Jackson Hole
I think you need to look at the pro's and con's of each.

I think Holley's, in the hands of a good tuner, is probably a superior carb to the Edelbrock in quality.

On the other hand, Edelbrocks are much easier to work on for the beginner or novice and have a more user freindly design. Take off the top and you can re-jet right there. Holley's are a pain in the ass to re-jet and tune as you have to catch the fuel when pulling off the side covers.

Bang for your buck, it is hard to beat the Edel. One carb not mentioned is the Barry Grant Demon's. More expensive, but people swear by them.

Me, I use all of them, Holley on my boat, Edel on the Bronco. I can tune either, but once agian, the Edel is easier to work on and less expensive.

One last tip, most people go over on the CFM's. 500 or 600 is fine.