• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What distributor for your stock 302?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D:D:D Mallory unlite they work hassell free put mine in 1986 and have not touched it since. good luck with your choice.:cool::cool::cool: Bill ;D:D:cool:

gpete

What are you guys running or are you using points?
Get the Duraspark and leave the MSD and other aftermarket stuff alone, Duraspark can be purchased at any automotive store, aftermarket is order only. Keep it reliable and simple.

knack

Contributor
Points here. Stock motor, only a couple thousand miles per year. Works well.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
:D:D:D Mallory unlite they work hassell free put mine in 1986 and have not touched it since. good luck with your choice.:cool::cool::cool: Bill ;D:D:cool:

Same here...been using Unilites in about everything that has a dizzy for a long time.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
Would any of these over the stock points make any difference in performance?

knack

Contributor
Would any of these over the stock points make any difference in performance?

No matter if you are using mechanical points, hall-effect, magnetic trigger - it's just a switch. The only advantage I know of in using an electronic switch over a mechanical one - at least at stock motor rpm's - is that the electronics will stay in adjustment longer. And I think be more waterproof - but if the water's that deep you have other problems anyway...

inthmtns

Loc.
Martinsdale, MT
A Stock ELECTRONIC Duraspark will suffice, but recurve it with lighter springs and lock it so it only gets 10* mechanical advancement. Then set your timing to around 28 degrees total advance at 3000rpm.

Leave points in the '60s where they belong. (Unless your worried about EMP or something) ;):cool:

I personally would go MSD Digital Box, Billet Dist, coil and wires without a second thought but boy.... $$$$ to do the conversions. ($700) Same setup as above with the lightest springs, 10* mech adv, and total timing to 30 degrees @ 3000rpm.

We chassis dynoed some EB offroad/tufftrucks with stocker 302's before our last race, and all of them liked the above timing best. The MSD equipped truck made 12 more HP than the duraspark and the torque curve was flatter. (169hp at the wheels versus 181hp)

I was never a fan of the original MSD 6AL boxes as it seemed every other one had issues... but the new Digital boxes have been 100% reliable in all our offroad trucks. And they take a BEATING in those. (heat/water/vibration/impacts)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a Duraspark but points have never been a problem for me. I work in an industry that still has hundreds of emergency generators in the project. All them have point type systems.
Whatever type you select, you shouldn't just take the distributor out of the box and expect to have it perform well on your motor. You really need to adjust the curve for your particular cam and application. That's best done on a distributor machine.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Pertronix II in a older Mallory YL dual point.

The Pertronix fits your stock ditributor and takes 10 min. Quickest upgrade you can do.
If you go Pertronix spend the little extra on the II.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your sticking with points then just stay with a stock distributor. its only about $50 if you go aftermarket your looking at $200 or more and still dont have that great of a setup. plus most are dual points so you'll be buying more parts as time goes by.
Im with some of the others go with a factory duraspark setup it should cost you less than $150 with all new parts. With a stock or even a mild engine. Dont bother with the high dollar ignitions and fancy boxes they do little for there price and tend to fail more than factory stuff.

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
It's ironic, my motto is fix it till it's broke but I do stay with the Dura spark. It has never let me down, there is really nothing to go wrong and you can by one anywhere. Hell probably even a 7-11 carries a dura spark.

zoob

Loc.
Long Island, NY
ebe3u8ub.jpg

MSD ready to run.