• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What else should I order(351w EFI C4)?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Installing a 351w EFI with a C4. About to place an order with BC and wondering what else I need to get to complete the install.

I already have:

* truck lower
* car upper
* flex plate
* motor plate
* HP pump

Will be putting explorer serpentine on it as well and have the Driven pulley.

Planning on ordering:

* EFI upper/lower adapter
* Throttle cable
* kickdown cable
* coil mount

What else are must haves from BC for this install? Most of the normal parts I can get from my guy at NAPA.

Thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
stock1970 did this a while back, believe he told me

Alternator adapter & Power Steering Brackets..

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
going with explorer accessories, so brackets aren't required.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
My suggestion is to order a throttle cable from Lokar. Go with the 36" version and you will have plenty of room to route the cable where you prefer, and you can even shorten it if you like. Just my .02

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think BC has a coil mount that fits the explorer accessories.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i would say sell that upper and lower for scrap. combine that with the money saved from the adapter and buy a decent intake.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
351w is a reman near stock engine...GT40 will see very little gains(from what I've read).

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
351w is a reman near stock engine...GT40 will see very little gains(from what I've read).
so that is why ford did not use the oem 5.0 intake on a 351w?

a gt40 picks up power on a 302 and is still on the small side. that spacer will get your engine running but it will be dead at 4000 rpm.

Broncoloupy

Loc.
Parkton MD
so that is why ford did not use the oem 5.0 intake on a 351w?

a gt40 picks up power on a 302 and is still on the small side. that spacer will get your engine running but it will be dead at 4000 rpm.

X2 5.8 need lots of air. I am running a lightning/cobra upper and it peters out @ 5k. Spend money on 1 7/8" headers too if you plan to make any power later.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I put EFI on my 351W a while ago and it was a learning experience.

Some suggestions:

- try to use new sensors. This will prevent you from chasing down problems when you initally start it and run codes
- buy a cheap code scanner at your local auto parts store. Yes you can count the blinking lights but a code scanner is much easier and not that expensive. You will want to run KOEO/KOER codes at initial startup
- I used a GT-40 lower with the Cobra upper. BCB adapter was not available when I was purchasing parts.
- you need to get O2 sensor bungs welded into your exhaust
- get an inertia switch from a Mustang (usually around the trunk) as it is a good safety feature (cut power to fuel pump in case of a crash)
- what kind of fuel rails do you have? If car or Mustang rails, you will need to lengthen the connection hoses to fit the wider 351W lower intake. If you have the truck rails, no issue.
- Ron Morris performance has adapters to fun hose or -6 AN lines off the fuel rail connections
- If using hose, ONLY use fuel injection rated hose AND clamps. Anything between the HP fuel pump and fuel rail is under higher pressure. Return line and hose before the fuel pump can be standard fuel hose.
- put fuel filters before and after the fuel pump. HP rated filter required after the pump.
- I used the BCB throttle cable. Worked well.

The rest is standard EFI swap stuff. Remember that once you get it all together, test fuel pressure (36-38 psi) and set timing by removing SPOUT connector at the dizzy (I set at 10 degrees), then reconnect the SPOUT and the computer will make adjustments as required. Run codes for KOEO/KOER. The list of emmission and EGR related are listed in several threads. Ensure TPS is set @ .9V and you should be good to go.

Thread on my install and some of my lessons learned below.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89700

Enjoy the build, have fun with it.