• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is a pcv and why do i need it

wesleydax

Just changed back to a carb from efi. everything changed out and running good. cranks when hot or cold. and getting about 11mpg. i noticed tonight while checking the fluids i had not changed the 5.0 valve covers. I have my old M/T covers i can use. do i need to? If so why. Ive heard and replaced many pcv but have no clue as to there use.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
It does this
pcv.jpg

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

well crap now i got to go change covers before we leave for mountains in the morning. Thanks guy good info

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

another question would it hurt to run it about 60 miles before changing them? what could i hurt

patterdale

Bronco Guru
The pvc valve was meant to open with the vacuum of the engine and suck any blowby gasses into the intake to burn up. It was the first form of pollution control device known to these little babies. They were good for that but were meant to close if the valve cover pressure exceeded the pull of the intake vacuum. A lot of them didn't close and resulted in oil in the air cleaner. You will need it to pass emisions tests in your state if original equipment is required to title/register your bronco.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

ok just changed the valve covers back to the old ones. is it me or does the eng run easier.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Here is a no PCV Mexico Block 302 with 4 IDF44 Webbers. Note there is a 12 volt vacuum pump with a resivoir for the power brakes.
It is a expensive way to stay naturally asperiated.

Attachments

• Bling 001.jpg
    Bling 001.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 53

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Basically the engine or should I say carb is more or less tuned to run with a PCV in place years ago before PCV a lot of engines just had a open tube that allowed blowby gases to just vent to the ground.
Biggest issue with running no PCV is you still need to vent the gases or you will blow seals out of the engine.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
A engine needs crankcase ventilation. With the piston moving up and down they cause positive presure inside the crankcase, without it oil can be pushed past the seals or seals can be blown out.

If you look at the picture filtered air is supplied to the engine on the the drivers side valve cover and a pvc valve on the passenger side returns it to the engine thur vacume.