• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the 8tg digit P in explorer vins??

NJBronco

Looking to start sourcing out my gasket kit and rod bearings and such for my 2000 explorer 302 rebuild. I can't seem to find where I wrote down the vin but some parts are saying that it requires tgat 8th digit to be P. What does that mean. Tried going it and I saw one that said it was for egr but all motors have egr so in not agreeing with that

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Not to mention I'm having a hard time sourcing a full gasket kit. Summit and jeggs seem to be letting me down. Ebay I found a few but they are brands I've never heard of. I'd love to find a felpro.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try rockauto.com and search by exact year of explorer. you might have to poke around a bit, but should be under engine. i found the intake gasket set (egr, throttle body etc), there as well as the intake for the lightning lower no problem.

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are probably asking to confirm that you are asking parts for a V8. Go to a car sales website (eBay?) and find a V8 Explorer with a VIN listed and see what it shows.

The EGR question should not apply for a '00 Explorer. But asking if you have gauges or idiot lights shouldn't apply when asking the parts store for sending units shouldn't apply either. But parts store computers are not always that good and often generalize as well. Back to the EGR comment, there was a change in EGR between early and late Explorer V8s. It was a mid year running change in '97. So in '97 it could be either internal or external. So the question should be asking if it is external (or internal) to since a couple of gaskets around the throttle body would be slightly different. The rest of the engine is still the same. Bearings, rings that stuff is the same.

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

They have engine tech and victor reins kits. Anyone have experience with either? I've only used felpro and never had an issue. Just not sure who's better. Seems like the reins is more but the engine tech says something about being designed for rebuilt surfaces.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
"P" designates 5.0......ford head gasket kit number was F6TZ-6079-BB but is now discontinued.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Not to mention I'm having a hard time sourcing a full gasket kit. Summit and jeggs seem to be letting me down. Ebay I found a few but they are brands I've never heard of. I'd love to find a felpro.

As stated in your other thread the Full kits are a waste of money. Figure out what gaskets you need/want and get them individually - ESPECIALLY if you have a P Engine. The P heads are different and a kit will most likely have the wrong exhaust gaskets anyway. Then you'll most likely want the 1 piece oil pan gasket as well. The valve seals won't work with the P heads.

Trust me when I say I did this and 75% of the kit is still sitting on my shelf after the full engine build.

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Is that why I can find a ton of 96 explorer kits but then only a few that say 96-01. I am finding that I will order them seperate. Seems like it makes more sense financial for me anyway. Like phase one is crank bearings and bolts. Phase two can bee freeze plugs, rings, and rod bearings. Phase three is water pump side. You get the idea.

Spending $50 a clip instead of saving up and nickel and dining my savings just because I have it. Lol.

So last time I'm asking any recommendations on what brand gasket. And good assembly lube that will stay put for a few months over the winter until she's put back in the bronco

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I am Ford parts guy....gimmie a list when you get a chance and i will see what i can do

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Yes, the P engines are odd and the gaskets are a bit different in places. You'll save money piecing it together.

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Lol. Ok I will on a list this weekend. I've been working on cleaning everything up so I can look over everything

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and i have a one piece 302 oil pan gasket that amazon sent me incorrectly a long while back. can make you a smoking deal on it. PM if you are interested.

Hank