• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is the best order to weld in tube inserts?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's been so long since I've welded tube inserts for heims that I've forgotten the "order" I used to so in order to save my threads and not ruin a heim with the heat.

Do you weld yours with the heim threaded in it or without the heim? If not, what do you do to keep the threads from "warping" from the weld heat? I think I used to have some "spare" heims that I would thread into the insert while I welded it and then let it cool and could back them out after it cooled.

Is one way better than another?

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Order from Ruff Stuff

Anti seize the threaded end
put in insert
weld 2 passes (1/2 the tube at a time)
pull threaded joint out.

Thats the way I have always done it.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
We never weld inserts with the joint in them. The heat will melt the lining. Dont worry about warping the threads, just let them cool all the way after you weld them

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We never weld inserts with the joint in them. The heat will melt the lining. Dont worry about warping the threads, just let them cool all the way after you weld them

That's why I used to have some spares that I would use on every insert when welding.. the lining was ruined so I just used them for welding and kept them for spares if needed.

Do you let them air cool or dip them in water? Does the cooling process effect the threads?

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No heims and air cool it is! I have dipped a lot of welds in water to cool them so hope I haven't screwed those up.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
yeah, you don't want to quench welds. it does temper the metal, making it more brittle.

After welding those tube ends, weld your spider gears up so that you can run that thing! :D

Aggie007

I use a long pipe clamp then I tack:
12, 6, 9, 3

Make sure to taper the tube before you weld it.

Then make one complete pass all the way around when I mig, and if I tig I make two passes, one with little filler, then a second one to fill the joint smooth.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Beveled the tube, one fat MIG pass and let it air cool. No problem at all threading the heim in!! I had hit them with water in the past and that must have been my problem.

Thanks for all of the help!