• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this power steering set-up? UPDATE What drop pit arm should I order??

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I just bought this bronco and the previous owner said he had a power steering conversion done on it by his local 4x4 shop he said he thought it was from a newer bronco. Anyway it looks a lot different than my old one, can anyone give me some info on this set-up and why it doesn't have a steering stabilizer? Little worried about not having a stabilizer.

Anyway here are a few pics of this set up and one picture of my old Broncos set up.

100_0753.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0751.jpg

AND THIS MY OLD RIGS STOCK POWER STEERING JUST FOR REFERENCE

100_0411.jpg

Last edited:

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
looks like a 2wd steering box...they mount inside the frame...stocks are outside frame

the f150 2wd was a popular swap back in the days, i still know ppl doing it. however it sits a lot lower making it an issue for a stabilizer

OP
OP
B

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
So is this going to be an issue on the road/on the trail?? I have really haven't even driven this thing yet, I am working on getting in road worthy fo my standards. This steering is really touchy compared to my old stockl set-up, it has a smaller wheel for one, but it is a lot more sensitive.

Is this something, I should swap? This truck is going to be a cruiser/trail truck only problem is I have to drive about an hour and half away on highways etc....to get to trails.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
it should work just fine. i considered using that setup so i could fit a swaybar on easier but i went with the 4x4x2. you can find info on this setup on wildhorses4x4.com

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, it is a 70's 2WD Ford steering box. Kit came out in the early 90's and was the first power steering kit for the Bronco. Before this you had to either find stock bronco power steering parts or scab some mystery box into place (and there are a lot of mystery steering boxes on Broncos).

The conversion is good, but not what I consider great. If it works for you, leave it. As long as the steering is good there isn't anything inherently "bad" about the conversion. Just isn't what I think is the best. There are a few things I don't like (like the sector shaft a bit too long and too low for my taste, the tight fit to the radiator, etc.) but none of that is enough to take off a working power steering and put another one on.

I am guessing that when you hit a dip the steering wheel wants to turn right a little? And when pulling away from a stop hard the steering wheel wants to turn left a litttle (maybe the other way around)? If so that is a result of a non-complete installation. you have a lifted Bronco, The 2WD steering box lowers the steering pivot point (like a drop pitman arm on a normal steering box) but the track bar was not corrected accordingly. Throw in a little off geometery due to the shorter drag link and you are looking at bump steer. If it doesn't happen now then it probably will once the old school stiff suspension is removed and a nice soft spring is put in.

Bump steer is the change in steering angle as the suspension cycles. Typically the suspension cycles due to bumps, but it can also do it due to weight shift from accelerating and braking. In a typical IFS car you will get both wheels going in and out changing overall toe but in unison so it goes straight (both go in or both go out toghther). On a beam front axle the overall toe is fixed via the tie rod but the steering angle changes with bumps (both go right or both go left), thus funny steering. It is fixable and does not require replacing the steering box.

redline8300

The only thing that might give me caution is the adjuster/splice piece on the tie rod end. Both what did they use and how do the welds look, or is it a really dirty threaded sleeve that doesn't look like it have the clamping nuts?

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
That's the setup I use on my EB and have not had any problems. I have a 5" lift so it works great for me at keeping everything lined up good. I would put in a new tie rod drag link system in. Maybe a trail proof setup or 1 like it.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
If the steering feels very sensitive/twitchy your caster may be too low. Have the alignment checked and if you have less that 4 - 5 degrees positive then that will cause the feel you describe.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I've run that same set-up for years and as said earlier by todays standards its old school,but it works and its cheap to replace. As said earlier the track bar needs to be lowered on the frame or raised on the housing. The drag link the way its been spliced I would keep a eye on that or buy a new adjustable one. And the last thing if you're going to stay with this box the bracket on the bottom of the box hasn't been welded from what I can see,its bolted in 3 places on the frame but needs to welded. Don't get yourself talk into junking the set-up because it's not the newest thing,if its sound I would spend my money on other more pressing things and if the drag link is woreout pm me I have a ohmost new adjustable one that wants a new home.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Steering stabilizers are no big deal many people run without them they just reduce shocks to the steering system. I dont know that I'd even bother with trying to fit something up to that setup not sure it would look very good.

OP
OP
B

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I need a drop bracket for this set-up, does anyone know which one I should order??/ The 76-77 or the 66-75. My bronco is a 74, but I have no idea what year the steering box is???

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You should not order a drop pitman arm for this. The long sector shaft that sits low already acomplishes the same thing a drop pitman arm would do. --this is in reference to you changing the title and asking for a drop pitman arm--

Now what I am guessing you are asking about is a drop track bar bracket. Order the year of the Bronco's frame.

OP
OP
B

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
After doing some thinking, I think I need a track bar drop bracket and an adjustable drag link. Current drag link is very tweaked after installing new deaver 5.5in springs.

This or possible swap over to heim joint steering set up.