• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this steering issue?

RealJakeMalloy

Suddenly the truck is really hard to turn - and there is something flaking out from the steering column up by the steering wheel - like some kind of dust or metal? Is it possible a bearing is slipping from inside the column? How do I check?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
We need a little more information:
Is it manual or power steering
Dana 30 or 44 front axle
Does the steering wheel move up and down or back and forth.
Has anyone recently tried the adjust the steering box.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Flaking out from the steering column up by the steering wheel? Please elaborate on that.

If you are saying it gets hard to steer when you hit the gas I would venture a guess that the issue is frame and body flex and a solid connection from the steering wheel to the box with no flex joint or collapsible shaft. A hand full of photos would go a long way to help you diagnose this.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

Steering wheel grinding on the column? Would cause the difficulty of turning as well as the debris.
I will try and get some photos.

I had a shade tree mechanic put on a new steering wheel - there was a gap up by the wheel when he got it assembled that has mostly been closed. He told me there was a bearing that was "slipping". The metal dust is new.

steelworker77

I had the same thing happen. Had to adjust the steering column away from the steering wheel adapter. There is also a small spring and spacer behind the steering wheel nut that I was missing.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

I had the same thing happen. Had to adjust the steering column away from the steering wheel adapter. There is also a small spring and spacer behind the steering wheel nut that I was missing.
I am not mechanical, unfortunately. Does this involved removing the column? Is this something I could do, potentially? It was suggested that the column is so old it is worth replacing...

steelworker77

You would need to remove the steering wheel to verify if the spacer and spring are there. To move the steering column down some so its not rubbing on the adapter:
Loosen the two bolts under the dash and the clamp holding it to the bracket in the engine compartment and you can slide it down. Also loosen the clamp on the steering shaft in the engine bay near where you loosened the clamp and slide it down some. It will need to be adjusted back tight to hold the bearing in the end of the column after you are done adjusting it.

Its been awhile since I had to mess with mine but pretty sure that solved my issue when I was changing wheels.

OP
OP
R

RealJakeMalloy

Here are three pics of the steering column. I am not mechanical enough to know what I am looking at re: potential cause.

The symptoms once again - when I turn the wheel there is a creaking sound and the car is hard to turn - not like zero power steering, just not as loose as usual. I was told a bearing was "sliding down" but no idea if that is the case. This all started when the column was messed with while putting on a new steering wheel and trying to close the gap between the wheel and the column. The person doing the work said the column was so old that the bearing slid out but could be pushed back in? He also said at some point a new column is needed.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Here are three pics of the steering column. I am not mechanical enough to know what I am looking at re: potential cause.

The problem is at the other end of the column, in the cab where the steering wheel is. These photos don't show anything that would have to do with the steering wheel being replaced.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I had a shade tree mechanic put on a new steering wheel - there was a gap up by the wheel when he got it assembled that has mostly been closed. He told me there was a bearing that was "slipping". The metal dust is new.
95% of the time the cause of some new mystery problem is related to the last thing done on the vehicle, so this makes sense. As others have noted, the steering wheel is probably grinding on the column because it's missing a spring or spacer or the nut is just cranked down way too tight.

Here's a video showing the area in question and how to remove the steering wheel to check. This shows an aftermarket steering wheel, which may or may not look like what you have, but the process is the same:

A screenshot showing the spring:

1723400248240.png