• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this?

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=moabers link=board=5;threadid=12846;start=15#96973 date=1041646704]<br>Here is an unnecessaty explanation. It is an Evaporative Emissions / Charcoal Canister. As the fuel vapors in your gas tanks expand, the vapors pass through those connecting lines into the Charcoal Canister, and are trapped by the charcoal substrate. When your engine is running, one of the lines is a purge line going to your Carburetor or Intake manifold, which draws the vapors into the engine and burns them. Technically, you could see a mileage difference if your vehicle doesn't get driven much, or in hotter areas. I am pretty sure you wouldn't ever see any difference. <br>I have it on my '75, and my brother on his '72 in that exact spot. I would guess that '71 and later have it located somewhere, I am pretty sure that is when EVAP systems became Federally mandated. <br>Blah blah blah. Feel free to correct me if any of that is incorrect.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The one in my 71 didn't have Charcoal in it, it was just an empty bottle. My 76' had a charcoal bottle but that was mounted on the firewall in the engine bay on the passenger side.