• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Kind of Cam do I have?

tmann166

I am looking at getting a new duraspark distributor, but do not know what kind of cam I have? I am looking to find out if I need a cast gear or steel gear. I have a 74 with what was a stock 302 before I put on a edelbrock intake, holley 4bbl & a set of 289 heads. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Tyler

Loc.
Rome, NY
I know diddly about 302 but I am curious why did you use 289 heads on a 302? Is it because the orginal 302 heads were no good and you had 289's to use. What benifit is there using 289 vs 302 heads.?
Tony

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
1957 said:
I know diddly about 302 but I am curious why did you use 289 heads on a 302? Is it because the orginal 302 heads were no good and you had 289's to use. What benifit is there using 289 vs 302 heads.?
Tony
289 heads were commonly used to bump up the compression ratio and other than the HIPO heads which have adjustable valve train they are basically identical to 302 heads with no real gains to be had. Also unless the 289 heads have had hardened valve seats installed they will wear out with todays gas most later model 302 heads have the correct valve seats already. For the money it takes to get 289/302 heads to make decent gains you would be better off with aftermarket heads which will outflow modified stockers right out of the box.

tmann166 if the engine was stock than it should have the stock cam cast iron geared distr is what you need I got my last duraspark dist from autozone just ask for a dist for a 76 granada with a 302