• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Oil is everyone using

HigginsHorse

I've read that Pensoil leaves alot of gunk in you engine. I've got an autocross friend that says everyone at the track uses Castrol or Valvoline. I recently picked up some Valvoline "high-milage" oil as part of their free promotion. Does anyone know the difference between the regular oil and the high-milage oil?
What's everyone using?

B

bert

This ought to stir the pot and bring out the debates.
My choise is Castrol or Valvoline! Stay away from QS and Penzoil.
There is a lot to be said for synthetics also.
Not sure what Valvoline did on reformulating a high mileage engine oil, more additives to soften seals and clean the inside?

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
Years ago, when I worked in the auto parts business, we got a notice about a study done by the California Highway Patrol. It claimed that Penzoil and Quaker State failed first in their torture tests. On top was a tie between Havoline and Chevron Delo400. I don't know how true it was, but it sure helped us sell Havoline! The police here use Valvoline and it seems to do well in those abused patrol cars.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Conventional: Castrol or Valvoline changed every 3,000 miles.

Synthetic: Mobil-1 changed every 4,000 miles.

I have rebuilt enough engines to know that Pennsylvania based oils (parrifin based) are sludge and varnish generators that cause significant wear over Castrol and Valvoline. I would not even use these products in my $100 lawn mower.

I would use Castrol Syntec, but it is not a true synthetic ... it is a "modified" conventional oil. Mobil sued for misrepresentation, but lost due to semantics over the meaning of "synthetic".

Don't believe the extreme synthetic claims of extended oil change intervals (5,000+++ miles).

For every 100 gallons of gasoline burned, the following is produced during the combustion process …

• 90-100 Gallons of Water
• 3-10 Gallons of Unburned Fuel
• 0.5 to 2.0 pounds of Sludge
• 0.25 to 1.0 pounds of Resin and Varnishes
• 1.0 to 5.0 pounds of Nitric and Sulfuric Acids
• 6.0 to 10 ounces of Insoluble Lead Salts
• 1.0 to 2.0 ounces of Hydrochloric and Hydrobromic Acids

While most of these agents escape in the exhaust and some vaporize when subjected to extended oil operating temperatures, a percentage does accumulate … and continues to accumulate in the oil until it is drained with the next oil change. While synthetics are superior in dealing with these byproducts, they do not not eliminate the need for reasonable oil change intervals.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Oil

My 2 cents worth

Castrol Syntec 5W-50 Oil

Qualifier: regular maintenance does more than any oil, so regular oil changes are the key to long engine life not the brand of oil

the old fart in Canada

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I use Castrol 20W-50 and change it every 1500-2000 miles. The thing that kills the motor is all the crap floating around in the oil that hurts all the moving parts, so synthetic wouldn't really help it since I change it so frequently. This method hasn't let me down yet.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
oil

Running amsoil 10W-40 in engine
amsoil ATF in the C-4
amsoil 75-90 in the D-20, D-44 and 9"
amsoil Grease in the hubs, bearings and u-joints
amsoil Coolant in the radiator
amsoil PI in the fuel tank
and amsoil PS fluid in the PS pump.

Man I have a one track mind. I guess it keeps things simple.

http://classicbroncos.com/syntheticoils.shtml

cro_bronco

Loc.
Hamilton, MI
I use Mobil oils. Delvac 1300 15W-40 to be exact in my 351W. 60,000 miles and 10 hard years on a rebuild and it still runs strong. I run Mobil in everything. My father-in-law owns an excavating business and runs Mobil in all his equipment,swears by it.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
ASE-73 said:
Conventional: Castrol or Valvoline changed every 3,000 miles.

Synthetic: Mobil-1 changed every 4,000 miles.

I have rebuilt enough engines to know that Pennsylvania based oils (parrifin based) are sludge and varnish generators that cause significant wear over Castrol and Valvoline. I would not even use these products in my $100 lawn mower.

I would use Castrol Syntec, but it is not a true synthetic ... it is a "modified" conventional oil. Mobil sued for misrepresentation, but lost due to semantics over the meaning of "synthetic".

Don't believe the extreme synthetic claims of extended oil change intervals (5,000+++ miles).

For every 100 gallons of gasoline burned, the following is produced during the combustion process …

• 90-100 Gallons of Water
• 3-10 Gallons of Unburned Fuel
• 0.5 to 2.0 pounds of Sludge
• 0.25 to 1.0 pounds of Resin and Varnishes
• 1.0 to 5.0 pounds of Nitric and Sulfuric Acids
• 6.0 to 10 ounces of Insoluble Lead Salts
• 1.0 to 2.0 ounces of Hydrochloric and Hydrobromic Acids

While most of these agents escape in the exhaust and some vaporize when subjected to extended oil operating temperatures, a percentage does accumulate … and continues to accumulate in the oil until it is drained with the next oil change. While synthetics are superior in dealing with these byproducts, they do not not eliminate the need for reasonable oil change intervals.

Oil analysis by an independent lab doesn't lie. They report what they find and recommend if the oil is still usable or not. If it's good enough for aviation, it's good enough for my car engine. The fact of the matter is that synthetics have been proven time and time again to be good for longer change intervals. For some reason, people still won't believe it.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D There is only one oil for cars Valvoline run it in all my cars. The bronco it gets val raceing 20/40 every 2000 miles and the expedition and sport trac get 5/30 every 2000 miles and the old quad it gets castrol 20/50 as it was a oil made for little motors.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

73 bronc

BANNED
castrol gtx in everything. I used to work for sunoco, and we filled all kinds of containers with all kinds of oil. As far as conventional oil goes, Pennzoil is junk, valvoline, castrol, havoline, quaker state, is all about the same. Some even comes out of the same tank. Mobil 1 is awesome, Royal purple is great too.

Case

Valvoline here. 10w 30 in my bronco's ( when i drove them) and 15w 40 in my truck. All 15 qts of it. ;D ;D Tried Rotella, and will never run it again.

JMurray

Mobile 1, oil & grease
If its good enough for the shuttle I`ll run it
Jerry

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
20-50 Chevron, Castrol, or Valvoline. Whatever is on sale at the time or whatever is cheaper by the case at Costco. I use the same stuff in all 4 vehicles as well as the yard equipment. ;D Castrol ATF. Valvoline gear lube.

U

Unregistered

74bronc said:
Oil analysis by an independent lab doesn't lie. They report what they find and recommend if the oil is still usable or not. If it's good enough for aviation, it's good enough for my car engine. The fact of the matter is that synthetics have been proven time and time again to be good for longer change intervals. For some reason, people still won't believe it.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Oil reaching operating temperature is a huge factor in combustion by-products being "burned off" versus accumulating and compromising the oil. While synthetics are superior in this regard, they do not eliminate this fact.

The hours run per cold start is a huge factor. To my knowledge, Airplanes do not make quick runs to 7-11 or make short stop trips. Consumer Reports did oil wear studies using Taxi's that were never shut down ... and concluded no difference between Brand-X and Castrol with extended oil change intervals. Bad experiment with meaningless results given the operating conditions did not represent real life.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
oil use

I use Castrol 20W-50 in both my over 100,000 mile ford products, 302 in the 77 and 460 in the 88. Used it in the 5.0 in my 87F150, it ran to 248,000 miles before I parked it for parts.

No complaints so far...

dpm

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I've always run Pennzoil and have had no problems. For an old stock 289 I also thought just plain old 30w was just fine. They never had multi grade in '68 anyway. I have been told to run 10/30 or 10/40 but not real sure what that would do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?