• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Oil is everyone using

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
My Bronco 2 had pennzoil in it all its life, replaced head gaskets @ 100k and everything was fine inside. Ive heard alot of negative stuff about it lately and have started shying away from it. I keep havoline in the bronco and also running it in my 'yota pickup...have heard nothing but good stuff about havoline but Im thinking about switching to mobil 1.

CrazyHorse70

Loc.
Austin
I used to run Penzoil in everything I owned. Not any more. Last year I pulled the 4.3 motor from my wifes Safari van ( her choice of vehicle not mine) to overhaul it @ 153k miles. I changed the oil religiously every 2000-2500 miles. I was shocked at the amount of sludge in the motor. Will shy away from parifin oils. Now using Castrol in older vehicles and Mobile 1 in the newer ones. Just my .02 worth.

wilson

Run valvoline in all my gas engines, rotella in the psd, good luck with both.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
CrazyHorse70 said:
I used to run Penzoil in everything I owned. Not any more. Last year I pulled the 4.3 motor from my wifes Safari van ( her choice of vehicle not mine) to overhaul it @ 153k miles. I changed the oil religiously every 2000-2500 miles. I was shocked at the amount of sludge in the motor. Will shy away from parifin oils. Now using Castrol in older vehicles and Mobile 1 in the newer ones. Just my .02 worth.

Yep ... Penzoil, Quaker State and Union 76. The sludge and varnish buildup is unbelievable even with 3,000 mile oil changes ... get out the putty knife and start scraping. Again, I would not use these products in my $100 lawn mower.

I have been amazed at how clean and wear free Castrol and Valvoline motors are with 3,000 mile oil changes @ 100,000+++ mile rebuilds.

Case

Wilson, i had problems running rotella in my old 99 psd. It got aerated and wouldnt run good at all. Had to change the oil and then it ran fine.

wilson

Wilson, i had problems running rotella in my old 99 psd. It got aerated and wouldnt run good at all. Had to change the oil and then it ran fine.
If you do a search on The Diesel Stop diferent trucks do diferent with diferent oils. Mine does fine with the rotella.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I have run Valvoline for years and have no complaints. Even in a 302 that I ran to death, 300,000+ miles, the engine was clean when I took it apart.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I use Valvoline in all my vehicles. Synthetic in the wife's '01 Taurus SEL, blend in my '94 Explorer, and regular 10W30 or 40 in my 293,000 mile '84 Ranger 2.8L v6. I plan on runnin Valvoline in the Bronco assuming I eventually get to the point of putting the motor back in it %)

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
i know this post is old, i was running a search and just had to add my 2 cents.....Mobil 1 all the way, 15-50 now they have a new 5w 40 out for SUV and older engines. i did alot of searching anf research on this. There are other great oils, but for my needs Mobil 1 is the best. whatever you do change it often, I can tell you my oil still looks like honey...okay dark honey and i change mine three times a year about every 4-5000 miles.:cool: